151 replies to this topic

#61 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:31 AM

Wow, these things do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, that pretty damn zippy. Looking fwd to meeting one on the road with a decent driver. Mind you I barely ever see one (or a VX for that matter).  

I was a bit disappointed when compared to my na was on road tyres though
This. They're properly quick but we're all spoilt with the VX. The v6 isn't much different to a wrung out stg2 SC in a straight line - ask Mbes how well a 2 up VX full of luggage pulls. Probably a different story from a standing start as the v6 has launch control (after spending 5 minutes turning it on that is).

#62 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:32 AM

They are quick but I think I expected them to be alot quicker They won't be a match for nipper st all

#63 Stevie Dubyah

Stevie Dubyah

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Invasive Operations

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

Wow, these things do 0-60 in 3.8 seconds, that pretty damn zippy. Looking fwd to meeting one on the road with a decent driver. Mind you I barely ever see one (or a VX for that matter).  

I was a bit disappointed when compared to my na was on road tyres though
This. They're properly quick but we're all spoilt with the VX. The v6 isn't much different to a wrung out stg2 SC in a straight line - ask Mbes how well a 2 up VX full of luggage pulls. Probably a different story from a standing start as the v6 has launch control (after spending 5 minutes turning it on that is).

Launch control... my BMW has that... I wouldn't dream of ever using it. Takes 10 minutes of sodding about to set it up, and then it just does the most mechanically unsympathetic things to the drive train in order to skip .2 second off a notional 0-60 time.

I was in a Ferrari 599 (or something) as a passenger when the driver used it... it's ridiculous.  

#64 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

Can't you only use it in the exige a few times and then it needs resetting by lotus?

#65 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:00 AM

The 350 I drove was on track and was there to show how good the 350 was. I can only assume it had been abused but many were having trouble getting between 3rd and 4th. Certainly the new gear linkage ups the interest levels on the interior.

Martin S

#66 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:08 AM

Can't you only use it in the exige a few times and then it needs resetting by lotus?

I have found how to turn it on, its very easy but joe is correct, I believe you are limited to 20 goes before needing it reset by Lotus.

I found pulling away hard is just as quick.

Its deff slower than my old stage 4 turbo but it makes up for being so easy to drive.

CapVines followed me down the slip road from the National ( I did have air-con on  :wub: ) and up to 120 there was nothing in it really, I guess with a longer straight the V6 would pull but it was nothing amazing, would be perfect with 100bhp more to cover the weight the v6 has gained and stiffer shocks for tracking.. good job mine is now just a road car  :borg:

So 250bhp SC Vx weight  Vs  A Std V6 345bhp weight. = about the same performance

Jamie @B&C tells me that the gearboxes are only good (Hard tracking) for 410ish. but this is even more reason mine is NOT being modded.

#67 Goosenka

Goosenka

Jeep Driving jolly nice chap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,716 posts
  • Interests:Fried breakfasts, coffee and dogs

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

I seem to recall that using the launch control invalidates your warranty.

#68 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

They are quick but I think I expected them to be alot quicker They won't be a match for nipper st all

I don't understand why Lotus don't stick a bigger SC'er on the engine. If they came out of the factory with 600 or 700 HP (and plenty of rubber) then they'd be a complete game changer that would presumably grab a lot of Porsch, BMW etc sales. That 3.5 litre engine could presumably produce that reliably without dieing too fast.

The problem with manufacturing anything that is only a slight increment on the things that came before it, is that nobody really takes any notice. But when you make a genuine leap fwd, it grabs the world's attention forever after, e.g. SR71, DFV engine, SS Great Britain etc etc.

Edited by Nev, 04 November 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#69 Luke84

Luke84

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

I think thats the case - its been removed from the 350s anyway - removal of the code in the ECU maybe saved some weight  :lol:

#70 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

The only[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] launch control worth using is in the Nissan GTR  :wub:[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] [/color]

#71 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

The only[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] launch control worth using is in the Nissan GTR  :wub:[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;] [/color]

Yes, they are good, I've seen one take off next to me when I was chatting to some bikers at a layby and having a cup of tea. Apparently the owner had been banned on several occasions, but just ignored it.

Edited by Nev, 04 November 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#72 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

I don't understand why Lotus don't stick a bigger SC'er on the engine. If they came out of the factory with 600 or 700 HP (and plenty of rubber) then they'd be a complete game changer that would presumably grab a lot of Porsch, BMW etc sales. That 3.5 litre engine could presumably produce 2hp/cc without dieing too fast.

The problem with manufacturing anything that is only a slight increment on the things that came before it, is that nobody really takes any notice. But when you make a genuine leap fwd, it grabs the world's attention, e.g. SR71, DFV engine, SS Great Britain etc etc.

Think how much cost would go up with a factory std 600bhp Lotus Exige v6... 

Now think of costs of cars that are compared to the current std V6 .. then look at their costs 

This makes the Lotus V6 a good deal for the money 

#73 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

Hmm, the cost shoudn't really go up much, as the only "extra" thing you'd need is a really good charge cooler. Apart from that putting wider wheels + tyres on costs peanuts.

#74 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:18 AM

Plus pistons rods bigger charger chargecooler etc etc

#75 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,178 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

And warranty.... All factored into cost of sale. The warranty has to take into account people running the car on sh*t fuel, poor oil, no filter changes etc.

#76 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

Plus pistons rods bigger charger chargecooler etc etc

Well, if those are the weak points then they should chose a stronger base engine then. Yea, I know it could add 10k to the cost but the final product would then be leaps and bounds beyond others, both on paper and in the real world.

Their old LT5 engine that they developed many moons ago would be a great start. That was a proper advanced engine and when matched with a big SC, better pistons rings would be astonishing as it breathed so well. It would also be economical as it could switch off half of the throttle bodies.  

Edited by Nev, 04 November 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#77 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,510 posts
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:24 AM

Hmm, the cost shoudn't really go up much, as the only "extra" thing you'd need is a really good charge cooler. Apart from that putting wider wheels + tyres on costs peanuts.

Really Nev... and I thought better of you  :huh:

#78 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:26 AM

And warranty.... All factored into cost of sale. The warranty has to take into account people running the car on sh*t fuel, poor oil, no filter changes etc.

Yes, this is their big worry no doubt, but it stifles vision and top end creativity (which I and presumably some of their prospective customer want).

Edited by Nev, 04 November 2016 - 11:29 AM.

#79 Luke84

Luke84

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:28 AM

I don't understand why Lotus don't stick a bigger SC'er on the engine. If they came out of the factory with 600 or 700 HP (and plenty of rubber) then they'd be a complete game changer that would presumably grab a lot of Porsch, BMW etc sales. That 3.5 litre engine could presumably produce 2hp/cc without dieing too fast.

I guess its a balancing act with cost and weight. Adding more grunt then you need more cooling - charge cooler system and pipework adds weight and cost. Bigger tyres - its on the limit with a none assisted system at the moment - any bigger would require PAS (more weight and cost)

Suddenly your at 1300kg - and you need to jump the power 70bhp just to stand still bhp/kg wise and youve lumped another £10k+ onto the SRP

Would it be nice to have that sort of power on tap? Of course, does it need it? - Maybe not. Latest road and track shootout had pretty much everyone at the consensus that the Evora 400 was the best 'driving' car there by some way and yet it was one of the slowest in the timed tests. Different strokes for different folks i guess some people get zero enjoyment from going fast in a straight line and 'beating' other cars to others its everything. 

For me its certainly quick enough for my intended use, they get into 3 figures with alarming ease and perceived lack of effort, markedly quicker than my 260 over 50mph - doesn't necessarily 'feel' much faster as they don't have the frantic nature so its less of an assault on the senses but the rate at which the speedo whips round suggests otherwise. itll certainly do me for a few years while i save for a 3-11!  

Edited by Luke84, 04 November 2016 - 11:34 AM.

#80 Luke84

Luke84

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:41 AM

Current V6 lump is warrantied by Toyota upto 410bhp.

Any more than that and I assume Lotus would take on warranty responsibility which they probably cant afford to do other than on super low volume specials such as the 3-11.

Edited by Luke84, 04 November 2016 - 11:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users