satnav

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:17 AM

@JG, it's just the notion of this throwaway society we live in. I just have it in the back of my mind that there was a little clock ticking away ready to shut the thing down after 10 years.

My phone does what I want but does suffer from a lack of memory, so needs regular clean outs so that it will function properly. So perhaps a new phone anyway.

I completely agree with you Sutol, the concept of deliberately designing and manufacturing goods to to fail prematurely is counter intuitive to me.

Governments keep harping on about being green, just think how "ungreen" it is that a phone is expected to last just 2 years and then be replaced again and again. Imagine if it's hardware was designed to last 10 years and simple updates allowed it a genuine life of 10 years. That would make it 500% more "green", think of every bit of glass, microchip, plastic etc that did not need to be repeatedly made and the incurred extra transport costs and the extra cost of marketing it and the cost of the staff to support all these tasks 5 times over instead of just once.

The radix of the problem comes from the public's lack of ability to think critically and then decide not to buy "throw away" items, but instead seek out high quality goods that might have a chance of actually lasting. If people did this then the crappy manufacturers would go bankrupt and/or have to change their business model.

Thankfully there are people like Hairy, Sutol and myself who do this, but many people seem happy to repeated buy numerous "throw-away" things like this but don't notice that they are spending 45 of their precious years trudging into work to do so. I for one reject this approach to life and I'm convinced it's a strategy that has improved my quality of life.

I myself have an old TomTom that mysteriously would not boot after about 6 years. I refused to buy a new one, rang up & emailed TomTom, looked on the internet and finally found a way to upload a newer OS onto it, and hey presto it is working again. The fact that I (and my girlfriend) had to go through this palaver irritated me, likely due to deliberately built in obsolescence in my unit. I too will never buy one, in fact I have a large scale road map in my VX220 as a direct result, as it is more fit for purpose in the long run, will outlive any TomTom by 50 years and cost a fraction of buying 5 TomToms over the same time period. Just this single decission of mine will save me something like £150 * 5 = £600 over my lifetime (hopefully!). Multiply that up by the other 1000 things in life that are similar to this and suddenly you can semi/retire at 35 years old - oh I have! QED.

Edited by Nev, 21 April 2018 - 07:39 AM.

#22 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:21 AM

always carry paper maps when in europe , got caught out crossing border to Czech republic when the Western Europe maps stopped. Would love to go back there again.

#23 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

It's crap and counter productive for the world as a whole isn't it?

I hate this sort of thing, companies deliberately making things knowing they will fail very quickly and not supporting them as well as deliberately making them non modular (ie fixable) and basically washing their hands of their own products.

The iPhone is another classic example, yet people just buy these things like it was good value for money. :wacko:

I agree. Bought a top of the range Mio once and they didn't do a single map update for it. Wouldn't touch Mio with a bargepole now. I have a Garmin with lifetime updates but it only has internal memory and that's getting limited now as maps become more detailed.

#24 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

The radix of the problem comes from the public's lack of ability to think critically and then decide not to buy "throw away" items, but instead seek out high quality goods that might have a chance of actually lasting. If people did this then the crappy manufacturers would go bankrupt and/or have to change their business model.

Thankfully there are people like Hairy, Sutol and myself who do this, but many people seem happy to repeated buy numerous "throw-away" things like this but don't notice that they are spending 45 of their precious years trudging into work to do so. I for one reject this approach to life and I'm convinced it's a strategy that has improved my quality of life.

I've got a 15 year old car too!

#25 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:10 AM

TomToms customer service use to be brilliant, although the fact that I was using it so often wasnt so good, they finally refused to replace an old GO7** for the umpteenth time, so I bought a GO1005 with free lifetime maps etc. This packed up after a couple of years & I got the same email as you, telling me that it would be an uneconomical repair without even looking at it (something had gone wrong with the connector at the bottom of the unit so it couldnt update map & services from a computer but it still worked) & offered 25% off if I paid full price for the new unit. I was annoyed as it had lifetime map updates, anyway carried on using it for a good 18 months & ignored the your map is out of date warnings. We even had an email from TomTom telling us that they would no longer be updating our maps as our unit was obsolete, so I guess that lifetime is only three years anyway. Despite saying I wouldnt buy another, I was struggling using my mobile so I bought a GO5100 last year from Argos, as it was no longer the current model & was offered for almost half the price of the later GO5200. Used it for a Euro trip last year & off again in July

#26 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

Well I'm slowly coming round to using my phone. Not with Google maps but with 'My Route' which is produced by the TYRE guys. I've used TYRE for years. It's based around Google maps though. You can download maps to use offline, delete them when not required, and that's for anywhere in the world. Yes there is a sub to pay but hopefully the maps will be uptodate which TT maps never seemed to be, even after downloading the latest maps from them. It has traffic cameras and traffic congestion facility too. The downside is that my current phone is suffering from lack of memory so I will need to buy a new one. The upside is that I will no longer have to take 2 items of tech in the car with me, just the phone AND I will not have to deal with TT again. Now what phone should I buy??

#27 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

This year I think I will just take a android tablet with me and stick with that or Waze

#28 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,121 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

Just been setting up some routes for an upcoming car tour using Google Maps and it's really got it's knickers in a twist in the Arundel one way system. So even using the phone has it's problems :(

#29 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:31 PM

FWIW Chris you can pick up a Go5100 for £150 or a Via for a bit less. Enjoy the forthcoming trip, you will enjoy it & I wish we were able to go

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: satnav

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users