5 replies to this topic

#1 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

Let PH show you how to buy the ultimate GTR...
PHUltimaBuyingGuide_02.jpg

There are two key hurdles to buying a used Ultima GTR. The first is finding one for sale as only a few ever seem to be on offer at any given time, the second is sourcing a car in a specification you like. Given these are all hand-built cars, either from the factory or by the original owner, there can be a lot of variation in the details of colour, wheels, wings, engine and trim.

https://www.pistonhe...ltima-gtr/38701

#2 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:28 AM

I regret not building mine, I had the money and the garage, but no spare time in those days. I designed and built a stereo system from scratch instead, massive speakers, the electronics, etc - 10 Kw peak power consumption and required 3 massive amps to drive it - when thumping out music it made the lights flicker slightly in my house.

10 years later however, I seem to have turned Nipper into a sort of functional replica of one. 0-150 in 10 seconds is an impressive statistic for the Ultima, not to mention more grip than any of us have.

I test drove one when I visited the factory and also at Donington Park on one of their open days - really mind blowing compared to my Scooby that I had at the time.

Edited by Nev, 06 September 2018 - 05:33 AM.

#3 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:21 AM

Would love to build an rs6 v10 powered one

#4 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:06 AM

How much are these as a kit?

#5 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

According to their website "You can build your own new Ultima EVO supercar for around the same ballpark price as a mundane new BMW M2." So £50k in round fihures.

#6 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:15 PM

According to their website "You can build your own new Ultima EVO supercar for around the same ballpark price as a mundane new BMW M2." So £50k in round fihures.

Hmmm, somewhat optimistic.

As with all tuned car things, better to buy one that someone has already built/converted for 1/2 the price IMO.

They are ever so easy to work on, so much room around the engine, and a sensible clam that lifts up in 15 seconds. And with V8 power at a sensible 500 HP it should last for 100,000 miles. The factory LS7s are made with such tight process control, if you filter your air and oil properly and don't buzz the engine they should last almost for ever.

Just imagine the grip, with 355 tyres on the rear. Imnotworthy

Edited by Nev, 06 September 2018 - 08:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users