#41 oblomov

oblomov

oblomov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts
  • Interests:Mumblers

Posted 05 May 2024 - 03:20 PM

Tested mine, Key on prime around 6.3A

Engine at idle 6A. FP during prime would be around 3.1 bar, at idle due to vac reference 2.6-2.7 bar hence current a little less.

Didn't test with the scope to see what inrush current might be.

Thanks for your input.  Had to cut in to the loom cable anyway and it's obviously a cable for drawing less than 10A.  With seats out and pump exposed and all the faffing about that involved I decided to change the wiring so I can  isolate the loom supply and switch to a bench supply to drain the tank when the vehicle is on SORN, which was why I wanted to know what cable was suitable.   Pump running on a dry tank was 2.5A, so obviously more under load.  Yet to test the actual efficiency of the pump because I inadvertantly ordered a rail connector from f****g China.  Ebay keep doing that all the time unless you specify UK supply - and even then they still do it.  I'd run the tank dry of stale fuel before testing so 2.5 amp with the pump running dry with no load.  However, it seems as far as I can tell, the pump primes the system for about a second when ignition is switched on, and then shuts off, thus the car will start but not continue to run.  It's come at an inconvenient time because I've got a lot on at the moment and not able to give it full attention.  Couldn't get Opcom to connect - just a message saying the ECU wouldn't respond so no joy there.  I'm fully committed next week, plus being away, then return for one day and then Italy for two  weeks.

#42 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 May 2024 - 10:07 PM

Fuel is extremely unlikely to be your problem

Key on prime for a few seconds is normal, once ecu sees crank rotating, normally it will energise the pump relay.

Tanks should be left full when sitting for long periods. Otherwise damp/condensation can form and cause issues inside the tank.

Unless you get it completely bone dry and leave it open to the environment in a clean, warm dry environment.

Low fuel in a tank sitting for a long time is a bad idea for storage.

If it's only a few months, wont really matter either way. It'd take maybe 3-4 years or more for there to be any real concerns about fuel quality in terms of starting

#43 oblomov

oblomov

oblomov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 07:50 PM

Fuel is extremely unlikely to be your problem

Key on prime for a few seconds is normal, once ecu sees crank rotating, normally it will energise the pump relay.

Tanks should be left full when sitting for long periods. Otherwise damp/condensation can form and cause issues inside the tank.

Unless you get it completely bone dry and leave it open to the environment in a clean, warm dry environment.

Low fuel in a tank sitting for a long time is a bad idea for storage.

If it's only a few months, wont really matter either way. It'd take maybe 3-4 years or more for there to be any real concerns about fuel quality in terms of starting

Then from what yiou say the pump relay isn't energising because it primes, but that's all.  The boot relay cover is already off in case the relay isn't working - but -been away this week and off to Italy for a couple of weeks tomorrow so it's going to be sat sitting for a while.

On SORN the tank was left full to the brim as advised by Spitfire Engineering when I put the new pump in.

I have drained all the overwinter fuel from the tank and the pump ran fine doing that, and put new fuel in.  Put the old fuel in the daily runner and it's run fine for my foray up north - just got back today, so tight schedule.

I was going to drop in and see my mate Chris at Type 116, but didn't get the chance - he'll be disappointed, but can't be helped.

#44 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 11 May 2024 - 11:20 AM

PM'd

#45 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 07:29 AM

Then from what yiou say the pump relay isn't energising because it primes, but that's all.  

If it primes, then of course the relay is energising. Otherwise it could not prime.

And equally, if you used the pump to drain the tank, then the pump is working. 

As said before, the first and basic check would be to check fuel pressure during prime and cranking/running. Or stick a current clamp onto a power or ground wire for the pump and this will give an easy indication if the pump is doing work during both prime, and crank/running.

Any other tests are largely a waste of time until the results of these are known if you believe there is a fuel supply issue relating to these.

#46 oblomov

oblomov

oblomov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 31 May 2024 - 07:11 PM

Just to update - recap on problems and solution.

Car would start and then stall after running a couple of seconds.  However if 'caught' before stall would rev OK until off throttle and then stall.  Fuel pump tested and O.K.

Fault was a failed air mass meter.

Car now up and running. thumbsup

#47 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 31 May 2024 - 08:10 PM

Car would start and then stall after running a couple of seconds.  However if 'caught' before stall would rev OK until off throttle and then stall.  Fuel pump tested and O.K.

Get yourself an imperial one and they run much better. Just search for 'air mass yard'.

#48 oblomov

oblomov

oblomov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 01 June 2024 - 07:41 PM

Get yourself an imperial one and they run much better. Just search for 'air mass yard'.

I agree - Brexit demands it, and I want to know why I still can't buy petrol by the gallon - I mean, that was the whole point of economic suicide wasn't it?

#49 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 02 June 2024 - 06:26 AM

I agree - Brexit demands it, and I want to know why I still can't buy petrol by the gallon - I mean, that was the whole point of economic suicide wasn't it?

Here in Euro land I've had to get used to dealing with litres per 100km and the decimal system, never mind the confusion of 0 being where water freezes and 100 is where it boils.

I miss the days of dealing with fractions and 240 pennies in the pound, a base 12 system and water freezing at 32 and boiling at 212, never mind the joys of shillings, guineas and florins.

Just think, if Whole Lotta Love was written a few years later it'd be 'every centimetre of my love'. Doesn't sound quite so romantic.

#50 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 June 2024 - 11:48 AM

Surely they stopped advertising it by the gallon because prices got so high ? So changing it to per litre posted smaller numbers on the signs.

Fools advertising kind of thing

#51 oblomov

oblomov

oblomov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 02 June 2024 - 03:05 PM

Here in Euro land I've had to get used to dealing with litres per 100km and the decimal system, never mind the confusion of 0 being where water freezes and 100 is where it boils.

I miss the days of dealing with fractions and 240 pennies in the pound, a base 12 system and water freezing at 32 and boiling at 212, never mind the joys of shillings, guineas and florins.

Just think, if Whole Lotta Love was written a few years later it'd be 'every centimetre of my love'. Doesn't sound quite so romantic.

Well you're in Switzerland, but at what altitude? Because, you have to remember that the boiling pont of water reduces by one degree farenheit for every 1000 feet increase in altitude.  This is essential knowledge when boiling an egg for breakfast :lol: .

Edited by oblomov, 02 June 2024 - 03:08 PM.

#52 oblomov

oblomov

oblomov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 02 June 2024 - 03:07 PM

Surely they stopped advertising it by the gallon because prices got so high ? So changing it to per litre posted smaller numbers on the signs.

Fools advertising kind of thing

True, but miles per litre conveys nothing to me. :huh:

#53 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 08:54 AM

Well you're in Switzerland, but at what altitude? Because, you have to remember that the boiling pont of water reduces by one degree farenheit for every 1000 feet increase in altitude.  This is essential knowledge when boiling an egg for breakfast :lol: .

1400 ft.

Wondered why I can never get the eggs right.

#54 oblomov

oblomov

oblomov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 06:50 PM

1400 ft.

1400 ft??? Just wait till I see my physics teacher - oh - wait a minute - he's dead :blink:

#55 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 11:26 AM

1400 ft.

1400 ft??? Just wait till I see my physics teacher - oh - wait a minute - he's dead :blink:

98.57°C / 209.426°F

https://www.omnicalc...-point-altitude

#56 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 12:44 PM

Car would start and then stall after running a couple of seconds. However if 'caught' before stall would rev OK until off throttle and then stall. Fuel pump tested and O.K.

Thanks for reverting with the found fault here as so many haven't in the past. Sure this will be useful for someone in the future with the same symptoms.

#57 oblomov

oblomov

oblomov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 07:01 PM

I purposely do that just as I purposely phrase the topic heading, so anyone searching can find it.  There is so much information here that you have to spend ages searching for because people don't use a logical approach to documenting the information in an easily accessible way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users