9 replies to this topic

#1 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 30 July 2024 - 07:14 PM

So I've just returned from a three week trip around Europe in the VX.  France Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy.  On the return from Italy, at the start of the Brenner pass at 130 kph a piece of debris flew under the central reservation barrier and under the car.  Shortly after I could feel the car pulling heavily to the (UK) nearside.  I pulled in to the services at the head of the pass to find my front nearside tyre was flat.  I was well prepared for this eventuality with a small scissor jack, wheelbrace and two puncture repair kits behind the seats.  The plug the tyre type and this one.

https://www.airman-u...tyre-repair-kit

A kindly German who had no idea what he was doing tried to help me, but eventually left me to it.  I jacked the car up and removed the wheel but couldn't find the puncture to use the plug kit so used the kit above instead.  I know these can put your wheel well out of balance so I only used about a third of the fluid and pumped the tyre up to five psi over pressure.  Then I could see there were in fact two puncures within about half an inch of each other.  I rolled the tyre around a bit, went and had a coffeee, came back and set off on my way.  The wheel was off balance but OK up to 70 mph.  I kept stopping at each services to check tyre pressure and it was decreasing but very very slowly.  By the time I reached my overnight stop it had decreased to 1/2 psi above correct and was stable at that pressure.

I was in a quandry as to whether or not to try to get the tyre repaired, but finding a repair shop in a foreign city was difficult on my tight schedule, but not only that, two punctures close together presented a problem as did the fact that I know some places will refuse to repair tyres that have sealing gunk in them.  Also if the tyre was condemned then there was the problem of obtaining a replacement.

So I carried on at 70 mph all the way back home.

Instructions on the repair kit say the repair is good for 50 mph max to the nearest service station.  I did 600 miles at 70 mph (with frequent checks) and the repair was still holding strong when I arrived home.

As I suspected, the tyre is a write off from running flat for too long, but this is definitely a good piece of kit to have if you're travelling away from home.

#2 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 July 2024 - 08:28 PM

Thanks Oblomov and very timely as I'm on the portsmouth st malo ferry for a road trip next week. Will see if I can source one of these in time.

#3 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 July 2024 - 10:21 PM

I carry a can of fix-a-flat, but this has caught my eye.

The irony is I have them in all my other cars, including the two with spare wheels.

[Edit] Continental Conti Sealant Kit Tyre Inflator & 280 ML Bottle is the one I used - they go cheap on ebay as scrappies sell them from dead cars unused.

Edited by blackoctagon, 30 July 2024 - 10:28 PM.

#4 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,995 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 31 July 2024 - 05:10 AM

Where did you jack the car? Normal spot about half way down?

#5 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 31 July 2024 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the info, that looks like a worthwhile bit of kit.

#6 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,995 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 31 July 2024 - 08:43 AM

Didn't. The VXs come with a can of squirty stuff ? Must admit, hadn't thought about the possible need to take the wheel off, good job I just found my 40 year old scissor jack from my long gone Celica supra

#7 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 06:58 PM

Where did you jack the car? Normal spot about half way down?

Normal spot thumbsup

#8 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 07:00 PM

Didn't. The VXs come with a can of squirty stuff ? Must admit, hadn't thought about the possible need to take the wheel off, good job I just found my 40 year old scissor jack from my long gone Celica supra

The squirty aerosols have a limited life span.  Also there are two types of stuff, water based and oil based.  Oil based renders the tyre irrepairable as repair patches won't stick, and I think, but I'm not sure that the aerosols are oil based.  The one I used is water based.

#9 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 08:01 PM

Very lucky..I used the squirty stuff and it lasted 5 miles to nearest garage after hitting a scaffolding pole..

#10 stevieturbo

stevieturbo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 03:06 PM

Very lucky..I used the squirty stuff and it lasted 5 miles to nearest garage after hitting a scaffolding pole..

Each type of puncture will have a best means of a fix....scaffold pole sounds like it'd do a lot of damage. Probably not the easiest for any system

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users