Only Gone A Day

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:50 AM

the car goes in for a service and i lose the will to live. i'm sure the drive to work this morning was even better than usual. :D thumbsup just how amazing are vx220s? :D :D actually while i'm here, it got it's 40k service yesterday, was that supposed to include a plug change? :blink:

#2 wrightster

wrightster

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:05 AM

actually while i'm here, it got it's 40k service yesterday, was that supposed to include a plug change?

i think so ....

#3 ShinyAndy

ShinyAndy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts
  • Interests:Putting the world to rights on forums and teaching people how to drive properly

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:08 AM

the car goes in for a service and i lose the will to live.

You need to get out more :rolleyes:

#4 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:10 AM

the car goes in for a service and i lose the will to live.

You need to get out more :rolleyes:

have you driven a corsa?

ahh, critism from a 'mini' (mini what exactly?) driver, maybe i won't get upset!? ;)

#5 ShinyAndy

ShinyAndy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts
  • Interests:Putting the world to rights on forums and teaching people how to drive properly

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:12 AM

have you driven a corsa?

ahh, critism from a 'mini' (mini what exactly?) driver, maybe i won't get upset!?  ;)

Yes, and Astras and Micras and untold hundreds of other cars ?? :unsure:

Not from today I'm not.. the MINI has gone back and now it's a 1 car family again :(

Edited by ShinyAndy, 21 June 2005 - 07:12 AM.

#6 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:14 AM

just spoken to pikachu vauxhall, apparently the plugs looked fine so they didn't change them. time to put a(nother) positive bit of feedback for them in the services sticky topic. thumbsup edit: where's the service good/ bad sticky? anyway, picador vauxhall sholing another thumbsup

Edited by AntB, 21 June 2005 - 07:24 AM.

#7 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:57 AM

the car is misfiring at the mo, or stuttering when i put my foot down when it's just started up in a high-ish gear (using the torque to pull away as opposed to the revs if that makes sense?). i thought that if the plugs got changed at the service this would cure it, but they weren't, as posted above shall i change them anyway? maybe i should bung some petrol cleaner in the tank, change the leads? all of the above? what do you guys think? :unsure: :blink:

#8 ShinyAndy

ShinyAndy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:03 AM

I'd say you should take it back to them and ask them to do the job properly, then get back here and remove your positive post about them

#9 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:12 AM

I'd say you should take it back to them and ask them to do the job properly, then get back here and remove your positive post about them

basically they just changed the oil.

the service was ok- free courtesy car (that i didn't sign for, i should have crashed it! :P ) but to be honest i didn't really want them to do anything other than change the oil, if in their opinion they didn't think the plugs needed changing i'd rather still have the mis-fire and change them myself, with the leads etc than take it back and a ) be without my car and b ) get charged a lot more than it'll cost me to do it myself.

the car is going in for a 'service'/ fettling/ improvements (bodywork, brake upgrade) at my pet mechanics place next week anyway, so i'll find out everything about it then.

this is a bit of a sad reflection on what i've come to expect from service industries nowadays, but commonsense and skill seem to have been replaced by computers and procedure, so i expect not a lot and am pleased with anything better. graham at picador's (and mark on the service team) have been great re: my ecu problems so i can't really slag them off.

i just thought from my previous experience of cack- handed spannering that it seemed like a plug/ lead problem. the car's done 30k miles on it's first set of leads anyway, so i should replace them. (obsessive? me?)

#10 ShinyAndy

ShinyAndy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:16 AM

Strange you are positive about the dealer and yet only feel confident letting them change the oil ? Personally I would feel confident that I could leave my car at Bayliss in Cheltenham for a month with every problem under the sun and be happy that I'd get it back with no problems at all

#11 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:30 AM

Strange you are positive about the dealer and yet only feel confident letting them change the oil ?

the service was ok- in the sense that they were polite, punctual etc, but you're right i don't trust modern franchised dealerships, vauxhall or otherwise, in case graham at picador's reads this.

hence my usage of a bloke in a big industrial unit on a trading estate who does bodywork/ engines as capably as anyone i've ever met.

the fact that the guy has an absolutely spotless workshop and a pristine chevy nova drag car and that it is nearly impossible to book an appointment, only reinforces my opinion that i have made the right choice about what i do with my car. i'd be happy to pay the guy twice what he charges as his hourly fettling rate.

there is a problem that is endemic with things that have to be tinkered with cars/ buildings etc whereby the trust of those at the bottom; technicians or builders or whatever, is so little by those above that their role is reduced further and further to avoid cock-ups.

so what happens is that their own skill base gets more and more reduced and the problem self- perpetuates.

there are fewer and fewer 'craftsmen' around, people know this already don't they? that's why there's usually a two week wait to book a car in at somewhere like 'plans'?

sad really :(

not as sad as how bad my grammar is! :P

#12 johnaachen

johnaachen

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • Interests:Karting, F1, golf, tennis, binge drinking, giving up smoking

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:40 AM

the service was ok- free courtesy car (that i didn't sign for, i should have crashed it! :P ) but to be honest i didn't really want them to do anything other than change the oil, if in their opinion they didn't think the plugs needed changing i'd rather still have the mis-fire and change them myself,

funny that you are prepared to do the much more tricky job of changing plugs (when there are lots of different thigs to consider) yourself rather than change the oil which a monkey could do. I dont understand why you dont do both, or neither or the other way around??!!

Why do you pay Vxl to do the oil change?

God I am getting bitchy and i dont even have one the cars yet!

#13 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:46 AM

the service was ok- free courtesy car (that i didn't sign for, i should have crashed it!  :P ) but to be honest i didn't really want them to do anything other than change the oil, if in their opinion they didn't think the plugs needed changing i'd rather still have the mis-fire and change them myself,

funny that you are prepared to do the much more tricky job of changing plugs (when there are lots of different thigs to consider) yourself rather than change the oil which a monkey could do. I dont understand why you dont do both, or neither or the other way around??!!

Why do you pay Vxl to do the oil change?

God I am getting bitchy and i dont even have one the cars yet!

it's called a "service stamp"

#14 ShinyAndy

ShinyAndy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:33 AM

..but you don't need main dealer stamps anymore

#15 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:47 AM

i want a 'FVSH', just in case a ) i sell my car and b ) i sell it to someone who isn't a board member. thumbsup

#16 Tony_M

Tony_M

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Karate, Indoor Climbing, Running, Gym, PS2

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:47 PM

change the oil which a monkey could do

:o That make me a...

#17 Tintin

Tintin

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

Back to the beginning of your thread. My VX is also at Picador (Which i have enough repect for to trust them with it) so i am also driving a corsa and all day all i can think about is how good the VX really is and how much i pitty people who have decided to actually buy these cars. After driving the VX for two and a half years i have decided my driving 'palet' has been ruined forever!! Other things I have missed about the VX are Driving around with the roof down Being able to overtake things uphill Being able to overtake things downhill Being looked at lots by jelous people The list is endless

#18 mal_dun

mal_dun

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Interests:VX220, narrowboating, golf

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:39 AM

the car is misfiring at the mo, or stuttering when i put my foot down when it's just started up in a high-ish gear (using the torque to pull away as opposed to the revs if that makes sense?).

i thought that if the plugs got changed at the service this would cure it, but they weren't, as posted above shall i change them anyway?

maybe i should bung some petrol cleaner in the tank, change the leads? all of the above?

what do you guys think?

:unsure: :blink:

Mine did this at 31K. I took it in and it turned out to be the plugs which are normally changed at 40K. The only difference from normal use was I used Optimax all the time???? :blink:

#19 Guest_AntB (Guest)

Guest_AntB (Guest)

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:47 AM

i had the 40k service but the car has only done 29k. it was serviced at 1500, 7500, 19k and 29k miles, hence this being the 40k service. so it looks like the plugs might be up for a tinkering. time to get the feeler guages out again! happy days! :jump: it's like having the traveller back again, soon i'll be back to being able to change a gearbox in an hour and a half! ;)

#20 johnaachen

johnaachen

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • Interests:Karting, F1, golf, tennis, binge drinking, giving up smoking

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:24 AM

change the oil which a monkey could do

:o That make me a...

Maybe its difficult on a vx but on most cars it couldnt be much simpler.....

1. Remove plug on sump
2. Eat some peanuts
3. Let oil run out
4. Scratch armpits
5. Add new filter
6. Climb trees
7. Add new oil
8. Find and eat fleas on your partner

Ummmmmm......am I missing something??!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users