495 replies to this topic

#421 Richy

Richy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:37 PM

thumbsup Richy thumbsup

I'd be looking at a GSX-R 600, and an early one at that. Is there anything I should look out for? What are the other alternatives? Is insurance OK? I will be 24 with 0 experience etc.

Cheers!

thumbsup

Phone Suzuki insurance, they are the dawg dangglers for someone in your situation.. tell them you've had some stupidly low quote [not too stupid, as they will ask with who] say ''Ive phone so many today i can't remember''.. It works everytime thumbsup

Pre 00 gixers are robust old beast but handle great, i only a 98 model for a short time and loved it, most will be wheelied/tracked to death by now so check for *accident damage, wear to linkages ,head stock etc.. Also if its got low millage but still looks abit worn then check for holes in the sump plug, theres alot of pre-race Gixers put back on the road, small holes on oil caps, plugs etc is a dead give away thumbsup

Personally i'd opt for the K1 model. much nicer than the bubble shape and cheap too, it's slightly taller and the slimmer lines make it more fun to ride [espesh if your 6ft+] :)

* We raced the 98, 99 & 2000 models, My mate crashed them alot :rolleyes: and they all still stayed straight [well almost] - a true testimoney how solid they are. very easy to work on too thumbsup

Foxy also did a fair bit on one so did Richiemouse hopfully they'll be along to advise thumbsup

#422 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

Richy, Checked on Bennetts and the quote was £863 (6 pts, 1 claim) on a 1998 GSX-R 600 doing 1,000 miles a year! Waaaaaaaaaaaay outta my price range. Do you think that Suzuki could get cheaper? If so, by how much? edit: price

Edited by p4cks, 15 February 2007 - 12:00 PM.

#423 Richy

Richy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

:o 24yrsld - 6 points -1 claim and No experience :blink: ..

Im suprised you had a quote that cheap :P :P

Seriously though - insurance companies prefer you to have some experience on a bike of similar power etc.. But how are you supposed to do that if they all charge a fortune in the first place :unsure: With most companies it's impossible unless you just give in on the first atempt and pay over £600 TPFT for the privilege :(

But Suzuki are very good, i've had alot of new [just passed] customers dirt cheap insurance off them, One lad aged 20 passed with us on the saturday and rode home on a new SV650 the same day! - insurance came to around £450F/C - So they should might beat the quote you have had, its worth a try thumbsup

IIRC i was paying around £600 F/C on the old R6 when i was 24[ish] with full N/C - now @ 28 im paying around the same for 3 bikes :blink: Where is the sense in that :blink:

Although one company - i won't mention any names [coughs]bennets - wanted to charge me £1000 on the 750 alone :9mm:

Good luck - im off for a spin thumbsup

#424 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 05:56 PM

thumbsup Richy, I'll let you know how I get on. Just toying with the idea, as I am waiting for the cheque from the insurance company but it would mean that I couldnt buy another VX220 (but poss GSX-R and a Starlet Turbo)

The cost of all the gear to go with the bike also concerns me. If this is only a fad, I'll still be lumbared with all the leathers, helmet, gloves and boots etc. Suppose there's always eBay. Buy cheap - sell cheap.

#425 Trevski220

Trevski220

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

Have you tried Here for Insurance quotes?

They were good for me, obviously a broker but got better prices through them, than i did going direct.

#426 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

Although one company - i won't mention any names [coughs]bennets - wanted to charge me £1000 on the 750 alone :9mm:

Just thought that I'd mention that I'm about to put my blade back on the road (been sorned since end of June last year :( ), playing around on Bennets web site has just got me a quote of £165! fully comp but no frills, legal cover, leathers etc. That's half of my Carol Nash renewal :o Old ba$tardyoung but fortysomething, a million years no claims, a few bonus points, officer :rolleyes: etc.
Just hope that the quote comes up the same next week.

#427 Richy

Richy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:32 PM

Just thought that I'd mention that I'm about to put my blade back on the road (been sorned since end of June last year :( ), playing around on Bennets web site has just got me a quote of £165! fully comp but no frills, legal cover, leathers etc. That's half of my Carol Nash renewal :o Old ba$tardyoung but fortysomething, a million years no claims, a few bonus points, officer :rolleyes: etc.

They wouldn't even insure my pops on his new Gixer 1000 :blink: , and he was with them for years when he had the blade, and he's older than old!! - with full no claims :blink:

Prehaps its because we live in the bronx when it comes to bike theft :P

#428 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:28 AM

They wouldn't even insure my pops on his new Gixer 1000 :blink: , and he was with them for years when he had the blade, and he's older than old!! - with full no claims :blink:

Prehaps its because we live in Wales :rolleyes:

:P But on a serious note, which model Gixer 1000? I had a K1, when they first came out, will put my hand up & say it was too much for me as an occasional rider, mental bottom end. Also wanted to chuck it in the sea on the way back from Assen one year (cramp), hence 04 blade.

#429 Richy

Richy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

Prehaps its because we live in Wales :rolleyes:

:P But on a serious note, which model Gixer 1000? I had a K1, when they first came out, will put my hand up & say it was too much for me as an occasional rider, mental bottom end. Also wanted to chuck it in the sea on the way back from Assen one year (cramp), hence 04 blade.

:lol: Your right about the Welsh part.

He's got a brand new one, well the re-vamped K6 for 07, put the blade in for it about 3mths ago. You doing any trips on yours this year steve?

Its 100yrs of IOM too B)

#430 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

They were good for me, obviously a broker but got better prices through them, than i did going direct.

Trev - Just been quoted £477.45 with H+R Insurance Services! :D

#431 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:24 AM

You doing any trips on yours this year steve?

Its 100yrs of IOM too B)

Nothing planned yet, whens the TT? Mate of mine goes every year, managed to write off his 05 CBR600RR (& break his leg), on his second day there last year. Went through the 'wife won't let me have another' & then the 'my next bike will be sensible' stages, before going to Ducati Aylesbury to 'just have a look at the 1098' & coming home with a mint 06 999S mono complete with a Termignoni system B) . I'm now in envy mode, so we'll see what happens.

#432 Trevski220

Trevski220

• PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

Trev - Just been quoted £477.45 with H+R Insurance Services! :D

:D Good News mate, They have always offered me the best quotes thumbsup

#433 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:01 AM

Insured from Friday through Bennetts for £152! Happy with that, Renewal with Carole Nash last year was £338 :o Now got a couple of weeks before re-insuring the VX :(

#434 TATONSPEEDY

TATONSPEEDY

• PipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:Speedster, VX220, Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige, 340R, Catheram, Motorbikes, Mountain bikes, Computer, Web sites

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:58 AM

Mine before I sold her for a turbo but she miss me so hard :angry: :angry:

Why not R1 2006 ? R1 forever !

http://perso.orange....e/stage_jmd.htm

#435 agent-h

agent-h

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:44 AM

me on my zx7-r on a track day at RAF Wittering.

first ever track day, straight in advanced group :(

think i was about 5/6th slowest in every session!!! never mind, but to make me feel better the other bikes were mostly race prep'd (honest)

click me!!

click me!!

click me!!

#436 Flanners

Flanners

• PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Into my cars, motorbikes and road bking

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

Currentl;y have 3 bikes: can't find my916SPS pics. My Kawasaki zx10r and MV Agusta F4, sun is shining today as I look from my window, Spring is coming!!!!

http://img154.images...cimg0158ap1.jpg

http://img157.images...cimg0183ui5.jpg

Edited by Flanners, 02 March 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#437 Richy

Richy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:24 AM

Some really nice bikes guys :wub: keep them coming thumbsup

Couple i took at hawkstone last sunday..

It never ceases to amaze me as to just how fast these top guys are Imnotworthy

Marcus Nolan
Posted ImageImnotworthy

Tanel Leok
Posted Image

DeRuevers hard landing

Posted Image

Edited by R1CHY, 06 March 2007 - 04:27 AM.

#438 djegiant

djegiant

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

Wow, never seen the bike thread go so long without any action. :blink:

This place must have fallen apart without me. :D

In case anyone is interested my ZX6R is on fleabay and must go before Friday, if anyone fancies it please either PM or ring on 07812 605720.

ZX6R EBAY CLICKY

#439 djegiant

djegiant

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

Some fresh pics of my new Superduke on its 1st outing at the revamped Anglesey circuit. :)

Track is superb but super abrasive, ripped a spanking set of racetecs to bits in one day. :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
He fell off 4 corners later, oops.

Posted Image
And before b1chy adds his 2p, I was passing, not being passed. :P

Edited by djegiant, 26 July 2007 - 09:20 PM.

#440 Richy

Richy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:04 PM

Now would i say anything :P Looks very nice mate, great choice in colour too. B) [BTW nice leathers - funny really 'coz im sponsored by UtterlyButterly ;) :P ] Ps did you get my PM about coming up for pictures?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users