Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:05 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Translation trial :

Opel Formula

The Opel Speedster Turbo from Herbert Schürg is not only an exhibition car but also a true race beast.
_______

The dreams that come true are seldom, those that materialize without dissolving in the hard reality, write the beginning of a long lasting story, dreams to which we get accustomed, without however sinking in the daily life.

Such dreams are different for everybody, above all when it deals with automobile. For some people, the dream car comes mandatorily from Maranello, for others from Rüsselsheim too. But, it may also be constructed on the British ground. In our case, it is an Opel, we speak of the Speedster Turbo.

For Herbert Schürg from Neckarsulm a new car dream began with the purchase of such a car. He had known many others, but sooner or later each one reached its limits and stopped in the increase of its power. At last, it was a Ferrari F1 355, whose history and improvement should find an obvious end because of exorbitant costs.
An Opel Speedster Turbo appeared then as an original alternative. A car whose agility and sportsmanship were of an equivalent level, but whose modification cost was well lower.
Schürg found a model of 7 months old with light front damages that he could rapidly repair.

The step following the repair consisted in extirpating the last gram of overweight from the light roadster, in still sharpening the lowered body and for the love of detail in developing a flap aileron, enthused Herbert Schürg, who is never bored with his car. There is so many potential in this small race sweet, that a few others cars have.

The impressive carbon spoiler is in the origin on the DTM.
The regalbel rear diffuser is made of carbon fibres. The visible parts of carbon (exhaust pipe, tank door) are exclusive creations from Callaway.

On the race circuit, the passenger seat is removable, what is lighter and increases the body transformation possibilities.

The characteristics of the basic model are already «meaningful». Indeed, 1000 kg and 200 PS let glimpse what the tuning modifications may still bring.
In this particular case, the result of the modifications about the original design lead to a power of 295 PS with a weight of only 900 kg. To reach this result; the motor, clutch, the steering devices, the brakes, the wheels, the inside and at last the aerodynamic behaviour were carefully lightened by the happy owner who worked completely alone.
Schürg never lost the detail sense. He milled the corresponding brake callipers of the Alfa Brera from Rohlingen and improved them thanks to his talent. He fitted a calliper with an independent mechanism on the rear axis disc for the hand brake, adjusted an additional louver to feed the intercooler and built his own carbon air duct. The exhaust pipe is an exclusive manufacturing with cross cutting going through. "I would not be able to tell all that was modified. On this car, there is so much work that now it must be unsaleable". The car construction engineer plays but certainly not with his jewel.
He participates into the slalom series in the Club Sport Trophy and besides he drives some laps on the Hockenheim Grand Prix circuit. His best time for a lap of 4.5 km long is of about 1 minute 57,4. But since this date he still bettered his car and he should decrease his time.

"The ideas continuously come in my brain. Further on, this will be an ultra-light carbon hard top and a new front carbon spoiler. In Winter, I have time enough for design modifications".

On the circuit, the Speedster Turbo from Schürg has been known since a long time. This is not only due to the fact that instead of the flash of an Opel he adds the griffin of the British Vauxhall on the coat of arms. This is a sole specimen that becomes still more attractive because of a long-term work. The work of a perfectionist. A true dream. That is a good thing that there still exist men who are able to live such a dream.

The turbo 2 l is directly behind the driver. The motor balancing shafts were suppressed. This enables to save 7 kg in total on the road.

Herbert Schürg and his Speedster.
"With this car, I have more pleasure than with the Stradale Challenge F 355".

TECHNICAL DATA
Opel Speedster Turbo

Engine: 4-cylinder in line fluid cooled engine, 2 overhead came shafts, 4 valves per cylinder, Turbo compressor (of the Astra OPC). Intercooler with additional louver, compression ratio 8,8:1, load pressure 1.6 bar (overboost 2.1 bar), cubic capacity of the engine 1998 cm3.

Power 295 PS (217 kW) at 5400 rpm; maximum rotation torque of 443 Nm at 3800 rpm.

Transmission: rear driving wheels, 5-speed reinforced clutch (Sachs organic), short axle stay (up to 500 Nm). Drexler differential.

Steering devices: direct wheel springing, with double front and rear superposed triangles: front ventilated disc brakes, front/rear diameter 330/295 mm, ABS, Dunlop Direzza tires 7,5 x 17 inches (front), 9,0 x 17 (rear).

Body: length x width x height (mm) 3786 x 1708 x 1117, wheel base (mm) 2330, no load weight about 900 kg, weight/power ratio 3,1 kg/PS.

Performances:
Acceleration

0 – 60 km/h 2.2 s
0 – 100 km/h 4.4 s
0 – 160 km/h 9.2 s
0 – 200 km/h 14.4 s

Revving ups 4/5 speeds

80 – 120 km/h 2.7 s / 3.6 s
80 – 140-km/h 4.15 / 5.1 s
80 – 160 km/h 5.8 s / 5.8 s

Braking distance

100 – 0 km/h 33.0 metres

Maximum speed 248 km/h.

___

For Spiderman and Thorney : You could notice that german tuners do not only design their upgrades for motorway and a that such car could also run on track with intercooler.

So, Thorney have you some similar article(s) (with performance figures not only superlative) regarding your own VXT upgrades ?

:P

Edited by chris, 04 December 2006 - 01:14 PM.

#2 paulf-cam

paulf-cam

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:29 PM

So, 0-62 in 4.4s, thats only .3s improvement from stock? :unsure:

#3 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:25 PM

1'57" round Hockenheim GP! That's about 13 seconds faster than Throney, and at least 15 seconds faster than I managed a couple of years ago. In gear acceleration looks astonishing! PS Time quoted is 0-62mph, not the 0-60 Lotus figure. It only takes slightly longer to accelerate to 125mph than the stock VXT takes to reach 100mph. PPS From memory, the Carrera GT takes 12.5 seconds to reach 125mph, which puts the figures in perspective.

Edited by garyk220, 04 December 2006 - 02:35 PM.

#4 csl_freak

csl_freak

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

I thought Thorney's time was under heavy downpour ?

#5 garyk220

garyk220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:58 PM

That was the Tuner GP using the short circuit. The times I was referring to were on the GP circuit at the SAR 2 day course. Times were unofficial (taken from video) but 13 seconds is a huge margin!

#6 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:15 PM

Gary's referring to the time on video at the SAR course, this was when the car was running a stage 3 tune. 1m 57 would've won the Car Tuner GP (Cargraphics 996 GT2 practices at Hockenheim and their best time is just over 2mins and their (FIA race car) Porsche won the Tuner GP event. Clearly either he is a lot better driver than I am (quite likely I'm sure) or 1.57 is a bit optimistic. I've seen this car in the flesh and it really has been done well however I still think there are certain aspects of how the German tuners approach the car that I do not agree with, Chris I think you're just going to have to accept that just because people approach things differently does not mean that other people are doing it wrong. Hopefull this car (and Chris) will come along to the Speedster meet we hope to have at Hockenheim next May, we nice to see how they all compare?

#7 chris

chris

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:54 PM

Gary's referring to the time on video at the SAR course, this was when the car was running a stage 3 tune. 1m 57 would've won the Car Tuner GP (Cargraphics 996 GT2 practices at Hockenheim and their best time is just over 2mins and their (FIA race car) Porsche won the Tuner GP event. Clearly either he is a lot better driver than I am (quite likely I'm sure) or 1.57 is a bit optimistic.

I've seen this car in the flesh and it really has been done well however I still think there are certain aspects of how the German tuners approach the car that I do not agree with, Chris I think you're just going to have to accept that just because people approach things differently does not mean that other people are doing it wrong.

Hopefull this car (and Chris) will come along to the Speedster meet we hope to have at Hockenheim next May, we nice to see how they all compare?

And what is your opinion regarding (Sport auto) performance figures ?

Optimistic too ?

:)

#8 paulf-cam

paulf-cam

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:58 PM

The only way to settle this is some kind of quater mile race. Yes the VX is not a SLJ quater mile machine, but if you're tuning for power, you need some fair way of measuring like for like, and without the same dyno on both cars thats the best you can do... Ta, Paul.

#9 kenbo

kenbo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

I know this isn't as technical a point as what you chaps are discussing, but i love the wheels! :D

#10 Ferguson

Ferguson

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:02 PM

Proof that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts is also the sensibly tuned Imhof Speedster, which you can read about here (in German):

http://www.autobild....rtikel_id=10358

This is the list of top times posted by AutoBild at the Oschersleben track. The Imhof Speedster didn't post particularly eye-opening acceleration figures, but it pulverized some very impressive equipment over a whole lap:

Pace Model Laptime in Min. Ø in km/h
1. Edo GT2 R 1.38,32 134,27
2. Koro Porsche 911 GT3 4.6 RM S 1.39,65 132,41
3. Manthey 996 Turbo GT-MR 1.41,79 129,69
4. Ford GT 1.42,84 128,37
5. Imhof Speedster Turbo 1.42,88 128,32
6. TechArt Porsche 911 Turbo 1.43,59 127,44
7. HKT Seven GTS 1.43,78 127,20
8. Mercedes CLK DTM AMG 1.44,10 126,81

#11 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:25 PM

Shows one thing....Euro magazines are far more open in testing tuned cars, the UK market is all about manufacturer only ones, we rarely get such back to back testing of tuned cars.....I guess thats why I started the UK Car tuner grand prix.....you can't hide from laptimes :)

#12 Jesse

Jesse

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:01 PM

Hi! Herbert Schürg is a very good driver. He is ex. DTM driver (1986), 4 x Paris Dakar, and won several german and european championships. His car ist the best speedster/VX22O I have ever seen. Jesse

#13 chris

chris

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:43 PM

Proof that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts is also the sensibly tuned Imhof Speedster, which you can read about here (in German):

http://www.autobild....rtikel_id=10358

This is the list of top times posted by AutoBild at the Oschersleben track. The Imhof Speedster didn't post particularly eye-opening acceleration figures, but it pulverized some very impressive equipment over a whole lap:

Pace Model Laptime in Min. Ø in km/h
1. Edo GT2 R 1.38,32 134,27
2. Koro Porsche 911 GT3 4.6 RM S 1.39,65 132,41
3. Manthey 996 Turbo GT-MR 1.41,79 129,69
4. Ford GT 1.42,84 128,37
5. Imhof Speedster Turbo 1.42,88 128,32
6. TechArt Porsche 911 Turbo 1.43,59 127,44
7. HKT Seven GTS 1.43,78 127,20
8. Mercedes CLK DTM AMG 1.44,10 126,81

For reminder this car is also a VX performance upgrade (but only stage 2.5 = ECU + admission + large intercooler ;) )

It should be interesting to perform the same exercice with stage 3 ...

:P

Edited by chris, 06 December 2006 - 02:58 PM.

#14 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

Let us know how you get on. thumbsup

#15 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:53 PM

Herbert Schürg is a very good driver.
He is ex. DTM driver (1986), 4 x Paris Dakar, and won several german and european championships.

That would explain a lot. :P

My Exige has been independently tested as 0-100kmh in 4.3secs and you can see me do a ca. 2'10" followed by a 2'07"s lap of Hock. here (at the time, I thought it was 265bhp vs. 420, but a new rolling road test recently showed that the Ruf has 437bhp): >Bemani S/C Exige vs. Ruf 964 RS Turbo<

Yes, there was a bit of traffic; yes, my tyre pressures were not ideal – but another 10 seconds to find??? :unsure: Hmmm... I had originally set 2'10" as an attainable goal (and my mate in his Ruf 2'00"). With my new big brakes, geo and better adjusted Öhlins, I hope to perhaps crack 2'05"next year. Maybe, just maybe, one day if the car and conditions are right and if I can get the lines / braking points all spot on in one lap I might crack the magic 2'00". However, considering my very amateur eratic driving, I think 2'5" may be a more realistic goal for me :rolleyes: Fantastic fun though! For comparison, 2'13" was about the limit in a stock Speedster N/A, for me.

Looking forward to a really great get together in Hock. at Whit thumbsup

Link to the Hock thread: >Learn your car's limits on a modern F1 track with a bunch of other VXers<

#16 chris

chris

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:02 AM

Herbert Schürg is a very good driver.
He is ex. DTM driver (1986), 4 x Paris Dakar, and won several german and european championships.

That would explain a lot. :P

My Exige has been independently tested as 0-100kmh in 4.3secs and you can see me do a ca. 2'10" followed by a 2'07"s lap of Hock. here (at the time, I thought it was 265bhp vs. 420, but a new rolling road test recently showed that the Ruf has 437bhp): >Bemani S/C Exige vs. Ruf 964 RS Turbo<

Yes, there was a bit of traffic; yes, my tyre pressures were not ideal – but another 10 seconds to find??? :unsure: Hmmm... I had originally set 2'10" as an attainable goal (and my mate in his Ruf 2'00"). With my new big brakes, geo and better adjusted Öhlins, I hope to perhaps crack 2'05"next year. Maybe, just maybe, one day if the car and conditions are right and if I can get the lines / braking points all spot on in one lap I might crack the magic 2'00". However, considering my very amateur eratic driving, I think 2'5" may be a more realistic goal for me :rolleyes: Fantastic fun though! For comparison, 2'13" was about the limit in a stock Speedster N/A, for me.

Looking forward to a really great get together in Hock. at Whit thumbsup

Link to the Hock thread: >Learn your car's limits on a modern F1 track with a bunch of other VXers<

You cannot compare performances of upgraded Exige (even with Bermani kit) with Speedster turbo phase 3 !
The secret of Speedster is the torque which reach almost 450 N.m and allow amazing Reving ups !

:)

Edited by chris, 07 December 2006 - 06:03 AM.

#17 garyk220

garyk220

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:46 AM

Hmmm... I had originally set 2'10" as an attainable goal (and my mate in his Ruf 2'00"). With my new big brakes, geo and better adjusted Öhlins, I hope to perhaps crack 2'05"next year.

That was my thinking too Keith. 2'05"ish as a reasonable target. Thinking about it again, with wider tyres (those wheels run 215/245 tyres don't they?) 450Nm of torque and a decent driver who knows his way around the circuit, sub-2 minutes is not that much faster. Would love to see his corner speeds in the stadium complex!

I'll really try to get to Hockenheim this Spring thumbsup

#18 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:09 AM

How does that spoiler not snap off at high speeds? There doesn't seem to be sufficient support :blink: Where are those wing mirrors from?

#19 Eric Walter

Eric Walter

• 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

How does that spoiler not snap off at high speeds? There doesn't seem to be sufficient support :blink:

The spoiler is from an old AMG DTM Mercedes. It is not just mounted to the clam, but fixed to the rear subframe with a custom aluminum mount.

Where are those wing mirrors from?

These are from a KTM Duke bike.

There's a thread about the car in the German Speedster forum:

http://forum.opel-sp...showtopic=11612

http://translate.goo...Flanguage_tools

Eric

#20 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:35 PM

You cannot compare performances of upgraded Exige (even with Bermani kit) with Speedster turbo phase 3 !
The secret of Speedster is the torque which reach almost 450 N.m and allow amazing Reving ups !

Ah, but I am doing! :D 10 seconds difference around the Hock GP course is not much when you take the vastly superior skill of the pro Speedster driver into consideration. He probably wouldn't be much slower in the Exige (and conversely I wouldn't be much quicker in the Speedster :) ).

Would be great to see the various tuned Speedsters/VXs/Exiges in action together.

I'll really try to get to Hockenheim this Spring thumbsup

Go for it Gary thumbsup Chris and Mick are pretty keen too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users