Gear Leak

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 25 December 2002 - 10:19 AM

am I the only one to have experienced oil leakage from the transmission area? I took the speedy in last week to get the ABS replaced, and they replaced the gasket of a brass-colored gear cover visible from the left wheelwell. they swore that was it. drove the speedy on track last weekend, came home, checked: leaks are worse now, all the undertrays flooded :D :rolleyes: the bad thing is that it's hard to find out where the actual leak is!! there's a film of oil everywhere, even on the inner rim, tire wall and well-liner ! cuffs seem ok, and there would be black lithium grease anyway.... I guess I will take the baby in again the 30th..... :D the ABS upgrade was a big disappointment, :blink: didn't notice any apparent difference, maybe i should wait for dry, clean roads to better evaluate....

#2 gisou

gisou

• Pip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Opel Speedster !!!!!!!!!

Posted 26 December 2002 - 10:52 AM

Oupps :blink: About ABS, did you notice the "hard pedal" problem again ? Because it was THE point ; on some occasions, the braking force was 50% less and the pedal was really hard

#3 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 26 December 2002 - 10:57 PM

Oupps :blink:

About ABS, did you notice the "hard pedal" problem again ?

hmmmmm.....hard pedal....not that I remember....YET......lotsa ABS anytime..... on track w/out abs is much better anyway.....highway+salt+fog might be better on... ;)

#4 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 27 December 2002 - 11:20 AM

I've not been under a VX yet so ignore me if I', a bit unaware yet but after track work most cars get quite hot so does the VX have a oil dump valve? Normally if there is one it will go into a catch tank but maybe the VX doesn't?

#5 Guest_Dave (Guest)

Guest_Dave (Guest)

Posted 27 December 2002 - 12:26 PM

Had a similar problem with my Exige, which only occurred after hard driving on track, the gear box has a small breather pipe on top, which was allowing oil to escape, doesn’t take much to cover the under tray, turned out Lotus had overfilled the gearbox, this seems to be quite common for them to do, not sure of the gearbox arrangement on the VX220 but might be worth a look. I also know of another VX220 owner that was suffering from the same symptoms as yourself, but his leak was definitely coming from the left rear drive shaft, had the seal replace but still leaks. Dave

#6 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:29 PM

hum, intersting points.... the gear vapours valve was my/our first guess, then I wiped it clean carefully, and it doesn't look any messy....I mean, considering the amount of oil present everywhere, valve's surrounding should be drenched, while there just a very mild "oily" moisture compared to the other areas.....very confusing..... drive shaft is now my main suspect...still...how can oil be so widespread, tire, rims, wheelwell, all the susp. arms... ;) :D I might check the oil level, I bet they overfilled it after renewing the gasket....

#7 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:39 PM

I 'topped up' the Caterham once at Caedwell park, came back and my breather tank was full and the engine looked like an oil bomb had gone off in it :D Since then I try to keep the oil smack in the middle of the range rather than the top end.

#8 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 01:49 PM

did you have a gear oil dipstick? that would be easier... VX has a top bolt, right below the water canister, for filling, a bottom one for draining and a mid/low one for level checking, meaning that you fill it up until it flows out, and that WOULD be it.....now I'm getting suspicious....have to check the level now... :D

Edited by Ricky2772, 27 December 2002 - 01:50 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users