Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing and Sailing
    Karting
    My family

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:04 AM

Today, I just bought a stage 2 supercharger kit! :D

How much? What's included? Who will do the remap? Can't leave us hanging we need much more information.

#3 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Music Engines Birds Whiskey and Cosmology

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:20 AM

Today, I just bought a stage 2 supercharger kit! :D

How much? What's included? Who will do the remap? Can't leave us hanging we need much more information.

:lol: You may not like this... with today's exchange rate, just over a 1000 GBP.

Here's what I got
  • Supercharger + intake manifold + gasket set
  • Stage two drive pulley
  • Set of vernier pulleys
  • Hi flow fuel rail with stage two injectors plus wiring harness (I may not need these as I have a VXR fuel rail + injectors which looks like a better setup)
  • Relocator kit for oil dipstick
All the necessary fixings, brackets, etc. CLICKY

I will run it off my Emerald ECU.

Edited by speedster, 23 April 2007 - 03:28 AM.

#4 paulf-cam

paulf-cam

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:46 PM

Awesome! Someone finally ordered one! :) Good man, look forward to seeing the results thumbsup

#5 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

i will look at this thread with much interest as you go through with it. And then i'll copy you :D, just the mapping really that would worry me...

Edited by JamesGray, 23 April 2007 - 03:55 PM.

#6 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

I hope this is going to be a well documented exercise :poke: Are you using the block that Dude had with the low comp ratio pistons and what boost level do you reckon you'll be able to run? I'd love to do my own SC conversion but like James I'm I bit unsure of the mapping, esspecially with a boosted application, wish I'd made more of an effort to get a secondment to calibration when I worked at Lotus now. How easy do you reckon it'll be to map?

#7 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:02 PM

Of course the other option is to build it up and then flat bed it to a mapping outfit, preferably one with experience and leave it with them for final mapping.

#8 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:34 PM

I hope this is going to be a well documented exercise :poke:

Are you using the block that Dude had with the low comp ratio pistons and what boost level do you reckon you'll be able to run?

I'd love to do my own SC conversion but like James I'm I bit unsure of the mapping, esspecially with a boosted application, wish I'd made more of an effort to get a secondment to calibration when I worked at Lotus now. How easy do you reckon it'll be to map?

The stage two pulley, I'm told, is good for 10 PSI. There is the option of smaller pulley which will give 14 PSI.

This is the engine setup I'm getting from dude and the above PSI figures are probably on the lower end of the possible scale.
  • Std 2,2l engineblock with oilsump
  • Eagle Cr-Mo Crank
  • Eagle Cr-Mo rods
  • Wiseco Pistons (8:5:1 if I recall correctly, dude?)
  • Clevite rod and mainbearings
  • ARP Headstuds
  • SAAB cylinder head with turbocams and valves (yummy!).
  • SAAB Std multilayer headgasket.
Adding the EMS + MSD ignition components to complete the configuration.

Of course the other option is to build it up and then flat bed it to a mapping outfit, preferably one with experience and leave it with them for final mapping.

thumbsup I agree with the pro-tune approach. After I've completed the build I intend to bring the car over to Emerald and get them to correctly map their ECU for my setup. Hopefully Dave Walker himself might even take an interest! :P

I think I might junk the ETB while I'm at it..... :rolleyes:

I'll be keeping you all up to date on progress via my blog.

Edited by speedster, 23 April 2007 - 07:43 PM.

#9 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:03 PM

Surely a standard engine could take the same set-up? :unsure: the 243bhp coutenay converstion uses all std internals

#10 paulf-cam

paulf-cam

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

Surely a standard engine could take the same set-up? :unsure:

the 243bhp coutenay converstion uses all std internals

The rods were changed to allow for piston cooling things and there is a thicker head gasket... IIRC :)

#11 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

stock rods won't hold above 220hp... stock pistons are fine up to 250hp... so, forged rods are a must. make sure u get proper piston rings...i am at the 2nd "pistons out " due to wrong parts+wrong installation... now hitec is working the issue out... compression perfect, wrong oil rings it seems... all this on decomp JE pistons...

Edited by Ricky2772, 23 April 2007 - 09:21 PM.

#12 ChazUwe

ChazUwe

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Computers, Drinking and travelling about.

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

Surely a standard engine could take the same set-up? :unsure:

the 243bhp coutenay converstion uses all std internals

The rods were changed to allow for piston cooling things and there is a thicker head gasket... IIRC :)

So are new rods included in the Courtenay SC stage 2 then? I don't see any mention on their website of this?

Makes the £5500 seem a little easier to swallow if so :D

#13 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:16 PM

stock rods won't hold above 220hp... stock pistons are fine up to 250hp...
so, forged rods are a must.
make sure u get proper piston rings...i am at the 2nd "pistons out " due to wrong parts+wrong installation... now hitec is working the issue out... compression perfect, wrong oil rings it seems... all this on decomp JE pistons...

Interesting. I know the 2.0L SC engine has a different ring configuration. The top ring is slightly lower that the 2.2L. Wonder how them Wisecos are setup? :rolleyes:

#14 wrightster

wrightster

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:49 AM

So are new rods included in the Courtenay SC stage 2 then? I don't see any mention on their website of this

a good point would like to find out their opinion on this....

#15 ChazUwe

ChazUwe

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:03 AM

This is the extract that details what the conversion involves. No mention of uprated rods here. I think the majority of installations are installed with stock internals... Can't afford to have those upgraded too, what with the uprated clutch/flywheel, new alloy radiator that i would probably all get done at the same time!! ;-) "So What Exactly Is Involved? To give you an insight into our Supercharger Conversion here is what is involved, as there is more than simply just a supercharger to 'bolt on' to the engine, which is the common mis-conception. The price of the conversion includes full fitting, mapping and setting up on the rolling road. So what exactly is involved? Firstly the front and rear clams have to be removed from the vehicle. Then the head is removed to allow for the laser cut de-compression plate to be fitted with double head gaskets. New head bolts are installed when the head goes back onto the car. The supercharger and inlet manifold are fitted to the engine, however the supercharger is modified from standard GM specification for increased performance. The alternator is modified to allow the inlet manifold suitable clearance, and an additional pulley and bracket is fitted to allow the correct belt run for the supercharger, and to space the alternator the correct distance. The original drive belt is replaced with a longer Continental belt. A water radiator (chargecooler pre-rad) is fitted at the front end of the car and the pipework is routed from the engine to the water radiator. This is required to cool the water used in the chargecooler system. The standard ecu is re-located (as it is not posible for it to sit where it does on a standard car) and the factory wiring loom is extended accordingly. The standard ecu is then remounted onto a new bracket. A secondary (fully mappable) ecu is located in the rear clam and the wiring interfaced into the standard loom. This ecu is required to control the on-boost fuelling requirements, which are taken care of by the fitment of a pair of additional injectors, and the ecu is mapped accordingly for the finished conversion. The engine also benefits from an oil and filter change as part of the conversion. Once the conversion is completed, the clams are then re-fitted and the car is road tested, mapped and set up on the dyno and then fully road tested again for driveability. In addition to the modified GM supercharger and inlet manifold the components required for the conversion also include a fully mappable auxillary ecu and wiring loom, laser cut spacer plate, water radiator, headgaskets x 2, head bolts x 10, inlet manifold gasket, supercharger to inlet manifold gasket, throttle body to supercharger plate, pipework for chargecooler system including silicone elbows, relay, additional fuel injectors and assosciated fittings, fuel pipe, fuel pipe fitting, additional bracket and pulley, longer continental drivebelt and all the required nuts, bolts, washers, wiring and hose clips. All the conversions we have carried out, including customers' cars from Norway and Greece have been the Stage 2 conversion. This is the favoured option. "

#16 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:31 AM

I always thought it was the rpm that killed the con rods, that's why courtenay's keep the standard rev limit for there conversion.

Edited by Winstar, 24 April 2007 - 02:31 AM.

#17 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:21 AM

make sure u get proper piston rings...i am at the 2nd "pistons out " due to wrong parts+wrong installation... now hitec is working the issue out... compression perfect, wrong oil rings it seems... all this on decomp JE pistons...

I am still on standard rods and 242bhp, 6400 rev limit but seems ok I am in the process of getting Eagle rods/pistons as the £$ is good I would like 300 bhp :groupjump: so probably 7500 rpm rqd but some more work required on the engine, crank?/larger pistons? new ecu all help appreciated :D

#18 ChazUwe

ChazUwe

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:26 AM

How you getting on with the S/C Nick? Still loving it :D

#19 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:40 AM

I am still on standard rods and 242bhp, 6400 rev limit but seems ok I am in the process of getting Eagle rods/pistons as the £$ is good I would like 300 bhp :groupjump: so probably 7500 rpm rqd but some more work required on the engine, crank?/larger pistons? new ecu all help appreciated :D

Sounds like where I'm heading :D

Nick, could you do me a favour, post a picture of your engine bay SC chargecooler connections, and front chargecooler core mounting, if you can.....

Edited by speedster, 24 April 2007 - 03:46 AM.

#20 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:55 AM

:D
Sounds like where I'm heading :D

Nick, could you do me a favour, post a picture of your engine bay SC chargecooler connections, and front chargecooler core mounting, if you can.....

Will do, BIG difference is the chargecooler in the front, it gets all the airflow / love the sound who needs a wife :D

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users