slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

Makes the £5500 seem a little easier to swallow if so :D

hmmmmmmm how? lol
the kit is £1K at the great rate
rods are about £150 on the current rate...

mmm £4K fitting fee, bargin lol

#22 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

I'm sure there's more to it than that but we do seem to be universally ripped off for imports in this country. :beat:

#23 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

Makes the £5500 seem a little easier to swallow if so :D

hmmmmmmm how? lol
the kit is £1K at the great rate
rods are about £150 on the current rate...

mmm £4K fitting fee, bargin lol

Its all a little more complicated than that.
You need lots of other bits that courtney make themselves. The supercharger is actually one of the cheaper parts. You can buy the kit from Courtenays and fit it yourself for aprox £3.5k

Edited by JamesGray, 24 April 2007 - 03:23 PM.

#24 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Music Engines Birds Whiskey and Cosmology

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

The install procedure is well documented in the GM performance tuning literature. Once you get the clam off I don't think the physical installation is too complex, for somebody who likes doing a bit of mechanical DIY and can follow procedure. Tuning the setup is probably the biggest hurdle we face as there's no OEM upgrade with the kit that can be applied to the standard VX ECU :rolleyes: At the moment the SC kits are great value........ don't miss the gravy train :)

#25 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

The install procedure is well documented in the GM performance tuning literature. Once you get the clam off I don't think the physical installation is too complex, for somebody who likes doing a bit of mechanical DIY and can follow procedure. Tuning the setup is probably the biggest hurdle we face as there's no OEM upgrade with the kit that can be applied to the standard VX ECU :rolleyes:

At the moment the SC kits are great value........ don't miss the gravy train :)

Does the kit come with a decomression plate?

#26 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:20 PM

The install procedure is well documented in the GM performance tuning literature. Once you get the clam off I don't think the physical installation is too complex, for somebody who likes doing a bit of mechanical DIY and can follow procedure. Tuning the setup is probably the biggest hurdle we face as there's no OEM upgrade with the kit that can be applied to the standard VX ECU :rolleyes:

At the moment the SC kits are great value........ don't miss the gravy train :)

if you were to go to MTB, couldnt you just get an ecu from the states pre setup for the charger (and have the immobiliser deactivated maybe)... since their premium fuel is barely better than our normal fuel that wont be a huge issue?

thus making setup a shed load easier.
Im not affraid of mapping myself its a straight forward process, but to save time and effort the above method could work?

#27 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:12 PM

Does the kit come with a decomression plate?

Nope, the GM SC kit is designed to bolt on a standard 2.2L with no compression or internal changes.
Here's a piccy of a full stage one kit CLICKY

if you were to go to MTB, couldnt you just get an ecu from the states pre setup for the charger (and have the immobiliser deactivated maybe)... since their premium fuel is barely better than our normal fuel that wont be a huge issue?

thus making setup a shed load easier.
Im not affraid of mapping myself its a straight forward process, but to save time and effort the above method could work?

Yup that work ok. But not yet sure about junking the ETB, I have a 68mm up and running. I will wait and see how it preforms after I switch fueling and ignition over to the Emerald EMS. If I leave the standard ECU in place for ETB control I can also keep the alarm and immobilser.

#28 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

Is the charge cooler a must if you are *only* going for the 200hp option? I'm thinking that for std internals 200 would be plenty. Esp as these long stroke, small bore engines simply aren't designed for high RPM and i think a nice fat, flat torque curve would be plenty sufficient. And it might preserve the longevity of the engine. Speedster, price quoted on that site is 2.8k dollars, roughty 1.4k GBP, you mentioned 1k, is that a special offer or a second hand purchase? I'm getting very tempted.

Edited by JamesGray, 24 April 2007 - 08:01 PM.

#29 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:13 PM

Is the charge cooler a must if you are *only* going for the 200hp option?

It acually an intercooler that is required (I have chargecoolers on the brain lately :beat: ). GM are saying the SC kit comes intercooler ready but there is no need to intercool for stage one (to the 200 hp).
If your going to install the SC there ain't much extra work needed to get the intercooler functioning. You will need a heat exchanger core, a water pump, a coolant reservoir plus the necessary lines to and fro to the core mounted at the front of the car.

Speedster, price quoted on that site is 2.8k dollars, roughty 1.4k GBP, you mentioned 1k, is that a special offer or a second hand purchase?

The stage two kit I bought is 2 months old.

:)
Steve

#30 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

Can you find me one now please :D :P

#31 toreide

toreide

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:33 PM

Sounds like a very interesting project :) The standard internals are not touched on the Courtenay/Hitec conversion. Have not heard of any failures yet. I would love to raise the limiter to 6600 just to be able to hold on to the gears longer, but I guess this is a no-no unless you upgrade the internals. I took a bloke for a drive last week. I offered him to have a look at my car as he was interested in a used turbo for sale in Oslo. He was scared shitless after I took him through a very entertaining uphill section in 2nd and 3rd gear corners :D

#32 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Can you find me one now please :D :P

:lol:
My formula - Search on ebay.com. I always find you get more results back than a .co.uk or any other country specific domain search, even if you select a worldwide search coz ebay seems to somewhat narrow it's search results based on an auctions shipping criteria. Thats how I spotted this. The seller had it down for shipping in the US only but gladly shipped international when I contacted him.

Sounds like a very interesting project :)

The standard internals are not touched on the Courtenay/Hitec conversion. Have not heard of any failures yet. I would love to raise the limiter to 6600 just to be able to hold on to the gears longer, but I guess this is a no-no unless you upgrade the internals.

I took a bloke for a drive last week. I offered him to have a look at my car as he was interested in a used turbo for sale in Oslo. He was scared shitless after I took him through a very entertaining uphill section in 2nd and 3rd gear corners :D

Hey Norway! :) I was there 2 years ago. Did you see me? :P Crazy prices for booze but some great driving routes :D thumbsup

Edited by speedster, 24 April 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#33 Jon

Jon

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

The standard internals are not touched on the Courtenay/Hitec conversion. Have not heard of any failures yet. I would love to raise the limiter to 6600 just to be able to hold on to the gears longer, but I guess this is a no-no unless you upgrade the internals.

I took a bloke for a drive last week. I offered him to have a look at my car as he was interested in a used turbo for sale in Oslo. He was scared shitless after I took him through a very entertaining uphill section in 2nd and 3rd gear corners :D

The internals are stock, this is why will will not raise the rev limiter any further :mellow: As the SAE technical paper for the 1000 bhp drag engine, confirms that the rods are "capable of sustaining 190 Kw (254.8 BHP) with out failure" .
However the cyclinder head is removed and the compression ratio has to lowered to run the boost required for 240 bhp, or detonation will occure even on a car with knock control.. not good :( this is why we lower the compression. thumbsup

#34 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:09 PM

The internals are stock, this is why will will not raise the rev limiter any further :mellow: As the SAE technical paper for the 1000 bhp drag engine, confirms that the rods are "capable of sustaining 190 Kw (254.8 BHP) with out failure" .
However the cyclinder head is removed and the compression ratio has to lowered to run the boost required for 240 bhp, or detonation will occure even on a car with knock control.. not good :( this is why we lower the compression. thumbsup

Jon, what do you reckon your dropping compression to?

Oh! can I purchase the intercooler portion of your kit on its own?

#35 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

Is the charge cooler a must if you are *only* going for the 200hp option?

I'd always recomend fitting some form of cooling as because of the way that a roots compressor compresses the gas by squeezing it rather than centrifugal the efficiency is quite low compared to turbos. This means that more of the work done to the gas is converted in to heat rather than pressure.

#36 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:02 PM

Speedster,

ECUs, and other parafanalia apart what is the difference between this and a stage 2?

:D

#37 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:27 AM

Speedster,

ECUs, and other parafanalia apart what is the difference between this and a stage 2?

:D

Stage two has a smaller pulley, a shorter belt and a higher capacity fuel rail + injectors (plus the software for the US ECU).

I also got a throttlebody (cable operated), a set of adjustable cam gears and a fuel pressure sender with the kit.

Make sure you get a shipping quote for delivery from Canada........ can be expensive.

Edited by speedster, 25 April 2007 - 12:28 AM.

#38 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:47 AM

So one could upgrade from 1 to 2 fairly easily?

#39 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:23 AM

I would have thought that if they were going to let go mine would have gone before now bearing in mind the amount of track work it's been through since the conversion. :dry:

#40 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:34 AM

So one could upgrade from 1 to 2 fairly easily?

Yup, assuming you've installed an intercooler during the stage 1 install and are happy to apply a stage 2 to the standard engine components (pitons, rods, crank). Clam off job to replace the belt and pulley though. And you would have to get your ECU remapped to take full advantage of the upgrade.

That said, Jon indicates above they had to lower compression to get into the higher HP's. That said the bloke I'm buying the kit off indicated he had stage 2 245+HP running on a standard setup.....

I'm not stage 2'ing the standard engine though....

Edited by speedster, 25 April 2007 - 02:06 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users