• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 dude

dude

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

Good to see that it has arrived safe thumbsup Sorry about the dirty/old camcover, but i couldn´t get my hands on a new one :( I forgot to pm you that the money got here. I´m sure that you´ll be happy with the engine. Btw the cr is 8,9:1

#62 JawZ

JawZ

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts
  • Interests:Bodybuilding, 3D/2D Gfx, Web design, Sportscars, Electronic Music.

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

Following this project with great interest thumbsup :)

#63 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Music Engines Birds Whiskey and Cosmology

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

Good to see that it has arrived safe thumbsup
Sorry about the dirty/old camcover, but i couldn´t get my hands on a new one :(

No worries Anders, have broken out the metal polish already and she's come up a treat! :D Courier owns a scobby and was amazed to see a supercharger sitting in my living room :lol:

Winstar, be nice to get into the 300's, I should be able to push the supercharger to it's limits.
I've located a interchangeable pulley system that offers pulley sizes right down to 61mm!
CLICKY

JawZ, thumbsup

#64 atlesc

atlesc

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

I couldn't resist the force no longer my self. No DIY operation for me, but the deposit is payed, I'm booked in at Cortenays at the beginning of July. OMG what have I done??? :blink: A momentary lapse of reason? Oh well :) -Atle.

Edited by atlesc, 11 May 2007 - 01:56 PM.

#65 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 02:01 PM

I couldn't resist the force no longer my self. No DIY operation for me, but the deposit is payed, I'm booked in at Cortenays at the beginning of July. OMG what have I done??? :blink: A momentary lapse of reason? Oh well :)

-Atle.

:lol: A very good decision! Are you going for any internal changes?

#66 atlesc

atlesc

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

Nope, just the standard stage 2 package as described on Cortenays webpage. I expect they know what they are selling :). You UK guys got it easy :). To deliver the car I have to drive from Oslo to Bergen (600km), then take the friggi'n ferry (as Dr. Evil says on my GPS) to New Castle, then down to North Walsam, deliver the car, stay over one night, fly home, wait 2 weeks, then fly back down to fetch the car. (After that I'm driving home the long way and visit the french 2500km). rallly :D Atle.

Edited by atlesc, 11 May 2007 - 06:56 PM.

#67 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

Nope, just the standard stage 2 package as described on Cortenays webpage. I expect
they know what they are selling :). You UK guys got it easy :). To deliver the car I have to
drive from Oslo to Bergen (600km), then take the friggi'n ferry (as Dr. Evil says on my GPS) to New Castle,
then down to North Walsam, deliver the car, stay over one night, fly home, wait 2 weeks, then fly back down to fetch the car. (After that I'm driving home the long way and visit the french 2500km). rallly

:D

Atle.

Yea but won't the drive home be fun :groupjump:

#68 paulf-cam

paulf-cam

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:38 AM

Nope, just the standard stage 2 package as described on Cortenays webpage. I expect
they know what they are selling :). You UK guys got it easy :). To deliver the car I have to
drive from Oslo to Bergen (600km), then take the friggi'n ferry (as Dr. Evil says on my GPS) to New Castle,
then down to North Walsam, deliver the car, stay over one night, fly home, wait 2 weeks, then fly back down to fetch the car. (After that I'm driving home the long way and visit the french 2500km). rallly

Atle.

Why don't you get the conversion done in germany by the company who invented the package, Hi-tec?

#69 dimd00d

dimd00d

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

Atle.

Why don't you get the conversion done in germany by the company who invented the package, Hi-tec?

Hitec's site is not the most informative in the world :( Btw, any idea if Courtenay/Hitec sell the package as a kit?

#70 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

Btw, any idea if Courtenay sell the package as a kit?

that question was answered on www.z22se.co.uk as : yes they could, but not sure on price :unsure:

Edited by vocky, 15 May 2007 - 01:06 PM.

#71 dimd00d

dimd00d

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

Btw, any idea if Courtenay sell the package as a kit?

that question was answered on www.z22se.co.uk as : yes they could, but not sure on price :unsure:

I am still at 'make it handle' phase, but will have to inquire both companies at some point, as a trip to UK will add few thousand euro over the cost easily :(

#72 atlesc

atlesc

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:33 AM

I tried sending them email but got no reply. My mail where in English though as my German is less than impressive :). Anyway I found the price Hitec charges on the German forum, and is was about the same as Courtenays (sligthly less, but only just). It's much easier for me to communicate in English instead of german-english-signlanguage. So I sold the "roadtrip-back-via-europe" idea to my GF, so we'll have 2 weeks to drive home. Maybe I'll drop by the Nurburgring as well :D Atle.

Edited by atlesc, 16 May 2007 - 01:35 AM.

#73 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:58 PM

I am now in search of a new exhaust mainifold 4-1 short, large diameter

as per this article clicky

The Supercharger headers, on the other hand, can achieve 240 ft/sec quite quickly from the boost and don't need scavenging from the header-cat-exhaust system to generate this exhaust flow speed. They need an exhaust system which will efficiently remove as much of the combusted , inert exhaust gas out of the cylinder as possible. So SC headers tend to be much larger in diameter, shorter, a 4-1 layout, and have huge 3 in. collector.

any ideas where to find or get one fabricated

#74 Tolksee

Tolksee

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Interests:Naked women

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

Hayward & Scott?

#75 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

What cams are you running with Nicky?

Typically you want nice long branches on the header to stop cross-cylinder pressurization. An example is the RKSport header with 16 inch branches CLICKY It's also got secondaries which will help broaden the power band. Though you'd need to find out what cam setup this system is targetting.

If you have standard cams you basically want a good flowing header with long enough branches to prevent any back flows (which rules out the standard exhaust manifold). As mentioned 4-2-1 will broaden the power band If you want more top end go 4-1 (same principles as NA engine). One rule of thumb I've come across is to make sure the branches are at least 12 inches long. Changing branch lenght will alter what level of power is delivered where on the power curve.

If your working with none standard cams things are a little more complex as your moving into the pulse tuning arena. Diameter of the header pipework is somewhat 'fixed' to cylinder size and the profile of the cams your running, as in these attributes determine gas velocity and pulse speeds, meaning for a supercharged engine, if your camming, what's proven to be good on an NA cam setup can be good for the blower setup.

If you want to go into the finer details you need to understand the impact the collector configuration has on the setup (tapered or terminated primaries).

#76 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

I am now in search of a new exhaust mainifold 4-1 short, large diameter

as per this article clicky

The Supercharger headers, on the other hand, can achieve 240 ft/sec quite quickly from the boost and don't need scavenging from the header-cat-exhaust system to generate this exhaust flow speed. They need an exhaust system which will efficiently remove as much of the combusted , inert exhaust gas out of the cylinder as possible. So SC headers tend to be much larger in diameter, shorter, a 4-1 layout, and have huge 3 in. collector.

any ideas where to find or get one fabricated

An other design that I've just found is from Weapon R for the SC engine in the US clicky

This uses a none-sequential collecting 4-2-1, ie no scavanging effect as linking 1-4 and 2-3 = 180 deg apart, this ties up with what courtaney's said in Griffo's quest for torque thread, about the NA Weapon R collecting wrong, 1-3 and 2-4 = 90 degrees apart.

I reckon it would be possible to make a similar design for the VX, I've been looking at a couple of schemes for an NA 4-2-1, collecting 1-3 and 2-4*, but it would be quite easy just change the how the primary headers link to the secondaries. They're only rough, estimated dimensions, as I've not measured up properly yet, I'll try to post a plot tonight.

*Although it's looking easier to collect 1-2 and 3-4.

Edited by Winstar, 16 May 2007 - 04:39 PM.

#77 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

What cams are you running with Nicky?

Typically you want nice long branches on the header to stop cross-cylinder pressurization. An example is the RKSport header with 16 inch branches CLICKY It's also got secondaries which will help broaden the power band. Though you'd need to find out what cam setup this system is targetting.

If you have standard cams you basically want a good flowing header with long enough branches to prevent any back flows (which rules out the standard exhaust manifold). As mentioned 4-2-1 will broaden the power band If you want more top end go 4-1 (same principles as NA engine). One rule of thumb I've come across is to make sure the branches are at least 12 inches long. Changing branch lenght will alter what level of power is delivered where on the power curve.

If your working with none standard cams things are a little more complex as your moving into the pulse tuning arena. Diameter of the header pipework is somewhat 'fixed' to cylinder size and the profile of the cams your running, as in these attributes determine gas velocity and pulse speeds, meaning for a supercharged engine, if your camming, what's proven to be good on an NA cam setup can be good for the blower setup.

If you want to go into the finer details you need to understand the impact the collector configuration has on the setup (tapered or terminated primaries).

I'm presuming nick's going for top end power as he's aiming for a bottom end capable of 7500+rpm

Interesting that they use 16"(406mm) primary's, Clipping Point quotes the Weapon R to be 550mm x 45mm (1.75") which is the length I've been trying to acheive. I reckon from my rough measurements using a tape measure it's about 450mm from center of the ports to the undertray.

When you say tapered primarys do you mean anti-reversion size changes or a literally tapered x-section pipe?

Edited by Winstar, 16 May 2007 - 04:58 PM.

#78 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:11 PM

[quote]What cams are you running with Nicky?[/quote]

Standard cams, Paulcp had non standard cams and ported head but reverted to normal ones when he had the s/c fitted. the ported head didn't make much difference.

The problem with this is that although there are off the self designs in the states non have the same short U bend we need with the limited space.( thanks Vocky :D )

I am going for the top end power with about 7000-7500 red line.

Might try to get something made and see how it goes.

Sent an email off to Haywrd and scott
Interesting that they use 16"(406mm) primary's, Clipping Point quotes the Weapon R to be 550mm x 45mm (1.75") which is the length I've been trying to acheive. I reckon from my rough measurements using a tape measure it's about 450mm from center of the ports to the undertray.[/quote]
[quote]

Interesting you think long 450 collector and not short, I was hopping to get away with just the top manifold replacement and not have to od further down.

#79 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:19 PM

I contacted H&S a little while ago about an exhaust manifold...... in short they were totally unintrested. regal sell a 4-1 for the z22se but im loathed to try anything they sell (along with 90% of other "tuners" too lol)

#80 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

Interesting you think long 450 collector and not short, I was hopping to get away with just the top manifold replacement and not have to od further down.

450mm was the vertical measurement from the center of the port you've also got 130 to 140 mm between the engine, or poss the top of the flange, and the boot wall. The actual length of the primary runner would be longer than this if you put the collector under the sub frame, as Meldet did with his, or shorter if you put the collector vertical before the subframe,

There's no real point in replacing just the manifold as this is a design comprimise to allow the precat to be close enough to get hot gas for warm up, the best bet is to do a manifold-sports cat in one

Although to get the best out of a system for a boosted application* I suspect you should be looking to go to a terminal size of 2.5" - 3" and all the off the shelf ones for the NA are 2.25" IIRC which means you should prob be looking at a full custom system, or mate it to a back box off a turbo, IIRC the Miltek turbo back box is 2.5" and Cheeky has a 3" Blue Flame.

*Too get to 300+bhp you'll have more than doubled the mass flow of the engine.

Edited by Winstar, 16 May 2007 - 06:48 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users