• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

TT how often are you in yours? Im only worried about the horror stories about engine rebuild avery few 1000 miles. Its the only car I would sell the VXT for at the moment. - Noble

#2 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,611 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

Have a word with turbomark, he has done the VX -> T350 back to VX thing.

#3 Timbo

Timbo

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

TT isnt in his anymore cause he sold it a while ago!!!!

#4 theotherjonnymac

theotherjonnymac

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

Looks like you have your answer already!!

#5 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

I read through their old threads but they did not give full answers as to why they sold the cars. I would be looking to own it for a year then get rid. I have seen examples for about 20k 03-53 plates with 15k on the clocks (on average) - Noble

#6 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

TTs cost him 13k in 9 months with full TVR warranty cover so that doesn't include the rebuild.

#7 bren.wright

bren.wright

• Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

Hi mate, I am currently looking at T350's and have the same reservations. I was reading the TVR forum on pistonheads and it seems a bit hit and miss. Apparently the newer (04 onwards) cars had a lot of the problems sorted, but I have still seen horror stories even with the newer 05 plate ones. Some people say they have owned one for 2-3 years and never had a spot of bother, but then there are lots of stories along the lines of "have only owned the car 2 months and already spent 5k on an engine rebuild". There doesn't seem to be a simple answer. :tt: Bren

#8 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

Bren. I have read them all too and drawn the same conclusion. Have you seen the 03 plate one for sale in the Autotrader online at Bolton. £17,995 but has 48k on the clock? Does that means it been good for all that mileage or is it about to break? Imagine owning one for 3 months only to have to pay 2-3k on engine work.

#9 JG

JG

• 13,611 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:30 PM

i'd find the yearly standard £1200 service a little hard to swallow too.

#10 flamy

flamy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

theres one near me with 48k on for about the same that has taken my eye... will probably be looking at getting one in a year or so. i'll bet the cheaper ones don't come with warranty, in that case it might be a big risk.

http://www.motors.co...0c#car-search-1

#11 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

Flamy thats the one I was on about in the Autotrader. Looks stunning. An extra 2k would get you a one with 35k less miles though. Does everyone share my thoughts on how good this car looks, sounds and handles? I mean tbh I think if you asked me it the only car right now I could see myself trading in the VXT for.

#12 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

Mikey has one and is using it as an everyday car. He lives round the corner from me and i hate walking past it Imnotworthy

#13 Guest_Mikey (Guest)

Guest_Mikey (Guest)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

Hello! I can answer all your questions my good people. Yes, you can use your TVR every day, provided you look after it. Check all fluid levels weekly, service regularly and follow the correct warm up procedure and you should be fine. Make sure you have a full warranty in place to cover engine rebuilds if the need should arise. I made sure mine had a recent engine rebuild to 2005 spec. Servicing is every 6000 miles with tappets every 12000. If you take it to a good independant or barter with the main dealer you can get the 12000 mile service + tappets down to £900 and the 6000 mile down to around £600. Make sure your car has a complete service history, always check for buckled spiders as they are rubbish. (I changed mine to after market alloys, will post a pic in a sec). On a dry day, nothing comes close to the thrill of a TVR.

#14 Guest_Mikey (Guest)

Guest_Mikey (Guest)

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mine will be going up for sale soon. It was a summer play thing before I spend all my money on my second property but the girlfriend is getting impatient (we're buying together). So far I've spent around £2000 on mine but that includes the 12000 mile service, 4 wheels, 2 rear tyres and a geo setup.

Edited by Mikey, 11 July 2007 - 03:25 PM.

#15 Flanners

Flanners

• PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Into my cars, motorbikes and road bking

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

Thats a lovely car. But IMO TVR build quality and engines are rather hiy and miss. Too many people I know and know of have sunk thousands into them. They are thrilling motors but complete money pits. I'd rather something German for that sort of dosh?

#16 danVXT

danVXT

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Cars / Gadgets / Gym

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

Mine will be going up for sale soon. It was a summer play thing before I spend all my money on my second property but the girlfriend is getting impatient (we're buying together). So far I've spent around £2000 on mine but that includes the 12000 mile service, 4 wheels, 2 rear tyres and a geo setup.

gorgeous looking car :wub:

#17 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:48 PM

F'k thats nice Imnotworthy

#18 Jaysith

Jaysith

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:41 AM

:dribble: :drool: :blink:

#19 Guest_Mikey (Guest)

Guest_Mikey (Guest)

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:31 AM

Thats a lovely car. But IMO TVR build quality and engines are rather hiy and miss. Too many people I know and know of have sunk thousands into them. They are thrilling motors but complete money pits. I'd rather something German for that sort of dosh?

Provided you purchase one with your eyes wide open and a healthy yearly budget available (mine was about £3000), they are no more risky than any other super car. You just have to make sure you have a warranty to cover any mechanical failures.

Even though I will be selling mine soon, there is no doubt I will come back to a TVR again once the bank balance is healthy again. rallly

#20 NOBLE

NOBLE

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

Mikey thats is stunning mate and thank you for sharing your experience of the car. Im drawing the conclusion that these cars are a good upgrade to the VX and with a good warrenty you could happily have a year of 'coverd' good motoring. Can you purchase warrenty with 3rd party people or can you buy them with TVR? The cars I have been looking at are all about 4 year old. - Noble

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users