:( :( R.I.P

#23 ad172

ad172

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport, Driving

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

:( :grouphug: Ian always made a great contribution to the site. He will be missed.

#24 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:36 PM

Really sad :(

#25 jneill

jneill

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  • Interests:QI

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:43 PM

Damn, that's a shame. :(

couple of quid given for a good cause

Mcmillan donation

Well spotted thumbsup

#26 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

A sad loss indeed :( met him a few times here at TMS. A very brave man. May I send my deepest sympathy to his friends and family at this sad time :grouphug: RIP Ian.

#27 mache

mache

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:33 PM

:( RIP

#28 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:44 PM

Sad news like this always puts things into perspective. rallly

#29 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

Ian came across as the VX owner enthusiastic about getting the most out of everything. He was very much missed in the last 12 months from the forums, and this is very sad news. I think there should be a special hoonage event in memory. :(

cyberman wrote on SELOC ;

As someone who has owned 4 Loti, raced 3 (owned by others - much the best) and now has a VxT may I make a small comment? I would have bought an S2 Elise if it had "the grunt" but instead I bought the VxT.

Before buying I looked at the relative costs of stretching both Elise and VxT to get excellent performance: they both use the same excellent tub. I decided that the VxT was a better starting point because I didn't need to replace the power plant to get where I wanted to go. I'd been this route before with the Elan S4 - but I had to buy a 2.1 stretched twink from Dave Brodie and give it 180 bhp (at the wheels) before it really went. I seem to remember I put Melmags and Torinos on the extremities.

With the VxT a stretch to 260bhp is easy and cheap. I am just about to stretch it again to 360 bhp and it will cost £5800 - although the engine has to come out it will use the same block, crank and head. The wheels, tyres, suspension and transmission have been done. The brakes are about to be done (320mm disks etc). The only outstanding question is whether I fit Geary's GT hubs. I'm thinking about it.

The point being that an Elise would have to have had much the same upgrades BUT it would have needed an Audi transplant to get the 360bhp (least, so I understand). No problem except it would be a 10K upgrade. So, for almost identical outcomes (I am using the Elise S2 hubs and semi-forged Motorsport wheels) I have saved the best part of £10K.

OK purists will say its not a Lotus - but actually it is a Lotus far more than anything else. The tub is what counts, the engine, transmission and running gear is free. If it were not so, then no one could buy Nitrons or Eibach or Performance Friction or Quaife or, or ,or, the list is endless.

So, being old and preferring to buy value for money (and value in a car is only about how pleasant it is to drive) and, I suppose, an iconoclast to boot, I am very happy with my VxT. OK, its not as pretty as an Elise. But, it err, goes. In a straight line, in a corner and very soon it will stop too. Its set up by people who race Elises - toe out at the front / toe in at the rear. I run the same spring rates as the racing Elises but have the rear in a two spring configuration to make the ride tolerable whilst the handling is circuit good.

As to badges, my wheels have Lotus badges and the boot has the VxT badges. It confuses the hell out of the pavement punters. But it shouldn't. Its a Lotus tub with a very good value GM turbo and a hell of a lot of non-standard bits from after market vendors which have been much fun to research and fit and tune.

The spirit is in the tub: the rest is free.

Err, and I'll wave at anybody.

#30 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

I think there should be a special hoonage event in memory. :(

thumbsup

#31 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

So sad :( :grouphug: R.I.P

#32 The Knobs

The Knobs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

sad news indeed, my step dad is meeting with the Macmillan nurses on friday, not good news here at the moment. Condolences to the family

#33 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

Very sad news. All the old timers from the forum will have felt quite a friendship with Cyberman as his posts were always worth reading. His last post showed enormous strength of character. How many of us could face what he went through with such fortitude
RIP Ian

Couldn't put it better thumbsup Such a shame he didn't get to race his VX :(

#34 johnaachen

johnaachen

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts
  • Interests:Karting, F1, golf, tennis, binge drinking, giving up smoking

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:42 PM

I met Ian over a year ago when he came down to Shoreham to buy an engine. He was an incredibly knowledgable man, loved his VX and motorsport in general. My Dad also died in June this year from colon cancer and I know how debilitating a disease it can be:-( Ian told me that he wanted to make his VXT the most powerful in the country and I hope he reached his dream thumbsup I think a meet is definitely a good idea thumbsup

#35 Anarchy

Anarchy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:52 PM

I dont know what to say, this is all new to me, people who you "know" off the internet, they are the new friends of this era. Any death is upsetting, obviously family and close friends but now even people you have never met but have communicated with or they have helped you or share a common interest. RIP Ian.

Edited by Anarchy, 26 September 2007 - 03:54 PM.

#36 TurboTomato

TurboTomato

K-Series Detonator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,881 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

:( Very sad to hear this. RIP.

#37 Richy

Richy

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,699 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:14 PM

:( :grouphug:

Ian always made a great contribution to the site. He will be missed.

Indeed ...

Also to echo Mal_dun's post - Ian's strength of character was enormous, I think to call him a very brave man is an understatment :( his last post about his illlness was heartbreaking to read :( - it just goes to show how cruel and short life can sometimes be :(

My deepest sympathy go out to all his family and friends, i just hope he had chance to fulfil most if not all his dreams.

RIP Matey :( :grouphug:

#38 Tom

Tom

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:14 PM

Sad news RIP Ian.

#39 Joss

Joss

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts