• 394 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:28 AM

RIP Ian :(

#62 Evad

Evad

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

Terribly sad news to hear :( my best wishes to his familly.

#63 gavrob

gavrob

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:01 AM

Very sad news. RIP.

#64 mightystag

mightystag

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

:( RIP Ian Thoughts to you family

#65 Stu-7

Stu-7

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:05 PM

bah :(

Every opening sentence I've typed on this thread just hasn't quite hit the mark.

I've seen numerous posts over the years on various car forums, after someone I didn't know passed away and often found them to be rather nauseating - us brits would prefer to mourn or pay our respects in private, would we not?
However, having met Ian before I feel compelled at least post a message. So, here goes....

I met Ian, for the first and only time back in April this year. It was a trackday, at Castle Combe.
He came over and parked next to me, and as the only VX'ers present we shared stories all day, in between sessions.

Ian told me within 30 seconds of meeting him that he was suffering from cancer. He didn't make light of it, however did see the humorous side, making various remarks why so few people wanted to pax with him after he told them he was suffering from a terminal illness!
He certainly knew his stuff. Our conversations were puckered with talk of magnetic dampers, woeful tuning companies and "turbo nutter barge ork drivers" ; it appeard Ian had a passionate dislike of this profile of driver on trackdays :D

He was quick as well. Proper quick.

The day was over too soon (as most tdays often are!) and as we were packing things away, I was wholly aware that the "nice to meet you, see you soon" handshake was looming on the horizon. What do I say? I was thinking to myself. "It's been great to meet you. I hope we can see each other on-track soon....I bloody well hope I'll be about to see 350 brake out of this thing...keep in touch" ...is what Ian said.

I've wondered ever since how he's been getting on but, didn't see his post back in June., nor did I know he posted as Cyberman.

So, RIP Ian.
Personable, humble, direct, forthright and highly knowledgeable about almost everything, you certainly made a mark in the very short time I knew you.

#66 Sicey

Sicey

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

Very sad news indeed, Ian was always a popular poster on this forum especially when you wanted to know anything technical about the car. It doesn't seem that long ago since he posted about going away and that he may not be back :( My condolences to his family. Rest in Peace CYBERMAN , may we all have at least one bit of the true courage you showed during the last 12 months Imnotworthy John

#67 Mick43

Mick43

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,305 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Bikes, Sport (tennis, squash, gym)

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:36 PM

I echo John's view above.. RIP and deepest sympathies to family. Donation made as per families wishes...

Edited by Mick43, 28 September 2007 - 07:43 PM.

#68 covert ops

covert ops

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

R.I.P :( Andy.

#69 Muzzy

Muzzy

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

Thought I was resurect this old thread, I saw Ians car in Henley yesterday. Glad to see someone else is enjoying his hard work. I can only presume it is member of the family as he lived locally. Car still looks great! Kudos to all your hard work Ian.

#70 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Music Engines Birds Whiskey and Cosmology

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

Missed this when it came out. I remember the thread were Cyberman went off to get his microscope, to analyse the components on the ECU's main board. All the best to you Cyberman, wherever it is you are driving today.

#71 theotherjonnymac

theotherjonnymac

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,434 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Sad news indeed. A real enthusiast IME. RIP

#72 Sambo1

Sambo1

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:35 PM