• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Teatowel

Teatowel

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 December 2002 - 12:33 AM

Um - anyone done this? If so, where and how? Also, does the VX have a way of getting the speed to the VDO stereo for the fancy auto-volume thingy?

Edited by Teatowel, 28 December 2002 - 12:35 AM.

#2 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 28 December 2002 - 09:08 AM

Yahoo forum has front speakers piccies . in the "photos" sections.....replacing the crappy rear ones is a good step too....as long as you do not mod the exhaust... :D

#3 stevevx220

stevevx220

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Photography, Computers. cars :)

Posted 28 December 2002 - 09:22 AM

Hi if you look at the pics of the new VXT the sills have been changed, simular to the Elise. Im going to wait until these become available. Steve V.

#4 BogBrush

BogBrush

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 December 2002 - 09:59 AM

Last time I post this info about the VDO head unit...

The VDO unit can be connected to a CD changer with digital output. This has 4 x 45 watts peak-power output, a DQR (Digital) tuner, CDMM5 soft take in CD drive + plays CD-Recordable & Cd Rewrittables, digital signal processor with 5 'SOUND' presets, fully detachable flip down front, blinking LED, multi-colour alpha display, initialisation mode, telephone mute, clock, wired remote compatible, demo mode, 4-channel line out, SDVC (Speed Dependant Volume Control), infra-red-eye compatible, speed/temperature Warning (Sensors not supplied), telephone-in, soft key operation, 12 character display, rotary volume control, CD changer control, CD title memory for tuner and changer.

The UK retail price is £320 but you can pick it up for about £260 over the Internet (e.g. Edworthy's Auto Electrics). To enable the SDVC feature you need an optional pulse convertor unit. with this fitted the head unit also supports a speed warning function. An IR remote controller is also an option, part no. CA1101.

As shipped the SDVC is wired up but not active. A connection is provided from the wheel speed sensor to the head unit to enable this. The unit ideally requires a square wave input (0V - 12V) but the wheel sensor produces a sinewave with a DC offset. In practice it works but ideally a cheap circuit should be built using a comparator to convert the sine wave into a square wave. This only requires about 80p worth of hardware and an LM311 and two resistors will do the job. The Stack units pin A5 has the speed sensor signal on it and this is connected to the head unit SDVC input. As delivered by Lotus the switched live and permanent live are also incorrectly wired for the shipped VDO head unit and this can be corrected by swapping the purple and green wires on the ISO connector (on the head unit side). To further complicate things the Elise S2 is wired up for rear speakers only if you have a 2-speaker radio fitting kit and the audible warnings from the VDO unit go to the front speakers only. You must swap the speaker wires over to correct this.

The unit can also monitor external temperature via an option temperature sender (part no. CA1301) and the unit will emit a warning when it drops below 3°C. You can purchase the temperature sensor direct from VDO Dayton for £14.99 from the customer services division, Tel. 0121 344 5421.

I pulled this from http://www.elises.co.uk. I don't think on the VX there is a connection from the speed sensor to the radio. The stack seems a little sensitive to me so i'm not sure how it would react to sharing the speed pulse with a radio?

#5 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 29 December 2002 - 02:09 PM

Someone, many moons ago, ( i can't be bothered to find it!) posted very precise and clear details on the yahoo forum on how to connect the speed sensor to the VDO unit. Have a look.

#6 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 01:24 PM

Yahoo forum has front speakers piccies . in the "photos" sections.....replacing the crappy rear ones is a good step too....as long as you do not mod the exhaust... ;)

Where? I can't see them.

#7 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 01:30 PM

Hi if you look at the pics of the new VXT the sills have been changed, simular to the Elise.

Im going to wait until these become available.

Steve V.

Where are these piccys of the new sills? Are they accessable on the Web?

#8 Guest_Sicey (Guest) (Guest)

Guest_Sicey (Guest) (Guest)

Posted 30 December 2002 - 01:47 PM

I have thought also if I dont buy the VXT then it would be good if we could buy some of the new options to add the old model, would save a bundle on buying the new car, just need the 200bhp from the engine, which probably wont be difficult now that Regal are on the ball. Regards, John.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users