What Na Backbox?

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#81 calbee

calbee

• Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 02:48 PM

Im also interested and also like more info. Would be ordering abord ;) edit: I just read the piper page and it says the exhaust is for the N/A ?? What about the turbo. I think the table should also clarify this :)

Edited by calbee, 23 January 2004 - 02:54 PM.

#82 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:19 PM

clippin_point, can you re-post your spreadsheet of exhaust options again? It's gone the way of the gallery and is missing in action. I'm still thinking about which full system to go for. Am still swaying towards Janspeed from the Lotus angle but suddenly had a hankering for the Komo-Tec. It's got to sound totally sweet - now where's that chap who had the janspeed fitted the weekend before last? Not heard from him yet.... Ben

#83 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:02 PM

OK! Here we go cheers

Attached Files

#84 BradW

BradW

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 08:29 AM

cheers was looking for that myself!

#85 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:48 AM

if a vauxhall sports exhaust is fitted with a cat bypass would that give any power increase?

#86 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:02 AM

Without pre- or main cat and with a free-flowing backbox you will prolly get 170 hp, given that Regal or AmD perform a remap. :P (if the measurements are correct this far :unsure: :blink: :( :o )

#87 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:12 AM

would i expect to get any increase without a remap? been offered a vauxhall sports exhaust for £340 so would i only require a cat bypass? and who does them? not to sure exactly whats required!

#88 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 10:12 AM

No, the AmD RR day showed that the people with "full Milltek" had 155 hp, while some people with original cars had 154 hp. Dh_Si had 155 before remap and 170 after with a Milltek system on it. So maybe you can get 5-10 hp without the remap, at best.

#89 da_murphster

da_murphster

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 01:14 PM

Why buy a Vaux sports exhaust for £340 when you can get a performance backbox for the same price? Piper is £380, janspeed is about the same. Seems a waste to have to cough up for the extra insurance and not get the power gains.

#90 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:44 PM

Something wrong with the Vaux one?

#91 davehutchinson

davehutchinson

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 03:59 PM

Why buy a Vaux sports exhaust for £340 when you can get a performance backbox for the same price? Piper is £380, janspeed is about the same.

Seems a waste to have to cough up for the extra insurance and not get the power gains.

Vauxhall S.E is a "factory fit option". Insurers don't charge more for factory options.... You just have to be careful in the way you phrase it.

#92 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:05 PM

There's nothing wrong with the Vauxhall one. I seriously doubt any figures that suggest there is any significant difference in performance between any of the backbox's by themselves. To get the performance, you need the cat-replacement section as well (and induction and a re-map). I'm looking at replacing my Vauxhall sports exhaust for the simple reason that Vauxhall don't produce a corresponding cat-replacement section. Although i could fit another manufacturers centre section e.g. Courtenay, I'd prefer to go for a single manufacturer for both sections. If Janspeed can solve the Lambda sensor issue on da_murphster's car to my satisfaction then i will probably go with them. Ben

Edited by Ratspants, 18 February 2004 - 04:08 PM.

#93 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:11 PM

I agree! There is nothing mysterious in making a good, less restrictive, backbox. Just the standard straight perforated straight-trough pipe does the job, but can get loud, as in the Vaux case. But they will all deliver the performance. Given the remap.

#94 zz_marcello

zz_marcello

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:sports, travel

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:30 PM

Hello to all! With my technical understanding: The tube radius in the bend areas is to small at the vauxhall sport/opel cup exhaust. This is bad for backpressure The other backbox systems have a larger radius. Ecspecially the Piper exhaust (which seems to be a copy of the German Komotec II) has very large bent radius. Beside: The vauxhall sport/Opel Cup is the only exhaust which is not made of stainless steel! For my opinion: No good choice. Take a piper like exhaust if noise doesn´t matter and the Milltek for a good compromise between noise, performance and weight Regards, Marcello

Edited by zz_marcello, 18 February 2004 - 04:37 PM.

#95 dubickini

dubickini

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:41 AM

Moto concept say to me that the silencer and des kat make 12kg... How much is the weight of the aem kat ?

Edited by dubickini, 01 March 2004 - 11:41 AM.

#96 Marco

Marco

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:46 PM

link for the Vauxhall Sports Exhaust:

http://www.vauxhall....tsSilencerVX220

Also, its £579 fitted..

#97 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:31 AM

And it looks completetly different from my previously used picture! :o Absorption vs. expansion as Marcello would define it.

#98 Ratspants

Ratspants

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:55 AM

And it looks completetly different from my previously used picture! :o

Absorption vs. expansion as Marcello would define it.

I'm pretty sure mine is like the photo you already have rather than the one from the vauxhall website.

All this talk of expansion vs absorbtion is making my head hurt :)

I think I'm going to go for a milltek centre section and keep the vauxhall sports exhaust. I know it will compromise performance but piper don't make a centre section, the Janspeed seems to be problematic with the engine light and all the other exhausts are too quiet (maybe the new exhaust minime is talking about will solve this? Regal?). Having a proper centre section seems a better solution to me than hacking the pre-cat out and will give me a better upgrade route should i decide to go for a quieter system in my old age ;)

Ben

#99 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:01 AM

Not 'official' yet but the Milltek system is the only one formally recommended by Vauxhall :)

#100 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:18 AM

all the other exhausts are too quiet

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yes, the piccy on the Vaux hompage looks more like my Milltek, tho not indentical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users