• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Boss VX

Boss VX

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:43 PM

I need to remove one of the air vent assys from the dash board. There are 4 of them and they blow the air onto the windscreen/in the cabin. is it a dash off job? I've had a good tug (on the vent assy !) and it wont budge.... :mellow:

#2 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

Yep, dash off, I'm afraid. Once it's off, you need to remove the plastic ducting on the underside which is secured by about 16 self tappers. Then you can access the underside of the vents. These are secured with 3 small self tappers. Undo these and just push out the vent. thumbsup

Oh and be prepared for a serious amount of nasty sh!t in the ducting and on the underside of the vents. Yuck!

Posted Image

Edited by techieboy, 04 December 2008 - 09:56 PM.

#3 Boss VX

Boss VX

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

Thanks v much. looks like a bit of a mission but worth doing to get the crap out b4 doing the sock mod etc. Now to research getting the dash off!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

#4 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

You can see the amount of festering sh!te that's breeding in the underdash ducting from this snap. It was truly disgusting but quite amazing that it had made it's way through the air intake under the radiator, through the heater matrix, up through the silver pipe and then into that ducting. Revolting. Taking the dash off is a great opportunity to clear it out and seal it up properly to make the most of the airflow though.

Posted Image

#5 Boss VX

Boss VX

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

Great pics - now i know what I'm in for. looks like a sunday job with hang-over to help !!!! chinky chinky

#6 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

Great pics - now i know what I'm in for. looks like a sunday job with hang-over to help !!!! chinky chinky

in case anyone brake them i've got 10 spare ;) for brandy money lol

#7 Ouchie

Ouchie

Monkey no mates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Resurrection time.
I have taken my dash vents out and as I sealed the underside trunking some time ago I was reluctant to try and pry it off again. I found a pretty simple way to pop the vents out.

This is easiest with the dash top out of the car but it *could* be possible while still in the car. First thing is to understand that the vent is a 2 piece construction, outer ring which is screwed down and inner flap assembly that spins and opens/closes.

Step 1 - remove the inner assembly
This is held in place by 3 moulded tags
Open the vent as if you were attempting to clear the screen, reach in with a flat headed screwdriver and lift the easiest tag while pulling on the vent flap. It will come out with enough force and maybe some extra leverage.

Step 2 - remove the screwed down outer ring
This is held in place with 3 small cross headed screws
Undo the screws, put them somewhere safe then extract the outer ring

Step 3 - wash your hands and clean the dash Posted Image

Some pics for illustration.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 waggy

waggy

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

Using a hooked end rather than a flat head might make it a lot easier? Just a thought.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users