• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 MajorGav

MajorGav

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 06:37 PM

Whilst I am careful getting in and out of the VX, some passengers are less so and I was wondering if folk have done anything to protect the paintwork on the sills? (the area you lift your leg over to get in, rather than the area exposed to the road) I know Armourfend produce a strip to cover the area, but I was wondering if there was anything else available? I saw some carbon fibre effect sheets in Halfords today and I know of people who used this in the Racing Puma? Any help please?

#2 ddpunter

ddpunter

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 06:40 PM

I am looking for something too, so will add to the cry for help. cheers d

#3 stevemgvx

stevemgvx

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 March 2003 - 07:08 PM

Stainless Steel ones were available with etched VX220 from a Ormskirk Vauxhall - ring the parts Dept on 01695 572461 and ask for Matt. There were pics on the old yahoo board - and I got some on my laptop which I'll post tomorrow at work if anybody wants. They're really easy to fit and look a treat but probably add a couple of pounds for those watching their weight :lol: Cheers Steve

#4 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 23 March 2003 - 07:53 PM

I'm just sorting a discount on these for club members, should be sorted next week.

#5 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 23 March 2003 - 08:09 PM

I know Armourfend produce a strip to cover the area,

Being in Switzerland, I'd not heard of Armourfend 'till I saw it on the forum. I've had a look at their website but thought someone here could probably give me some advice. :)

Does this bit for the VX cover only the top surface of the sill and not the vertical bit visible on the outside below the door? I would only want the inner part.

Does it yellow with time? A bit concerned as I've got silver and it would probably look very noticeable if it did.

Any idea how it is to fit and what the price is for this sill part and for the vertical front valance that's also very vunerable?

#6 MajorGav

MajorGav

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 10:26 AM

When you request a quote from Armourfend, they send you an illustration of each part available for protection. I could forward this to you if you like - drop me a PM with your prefered email address. In short, you can Armourfend for the front bumper, fog lights, headlights, leading edge of bonnet, wing mirrors, sill end caps, front grille, full side sill, rear wheel arch and door step. Judging by the picture, it would appear it covers the whole step and also an inch over the side too. I am very, very pleased with the bumper and side sills. Will post some pics shortly. Have already picked up two chips on the bonnet - one of which wouldn't have been covered by Armourfend. The Chip Stick comes in very handy - top stuff - so much better than touch-up paint. As for the door step, I'd like something a little more attractive than a material designed simply to protect from chipping. I'd like to add a little style if possible. As far as I'm aware the material doesn't yellow in time, but I'm sure Keith at Armourfend would give you an honest reply to this. You have a silver VX which is apparently the best suited colour for Armourfend....by this I mean if you went for the bonnet section you wouldn't really notice the line. Being in Switzerland may cause difficulties in terms of fitting, but I'm sure there must be European fitters... By the way, I paid approximately £350 for side sills and bumper - including fitting and call-out fee. They also offer a 10% discount if you mention this forum. Hope this helps.

#7 mal_dun

mal_dun

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Interests:VX220, narrowboating, golf

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:00 PM

Stainless Steel ones were available with etched VX220 from a Ormskirk Vauxhall - ring the parts Dept on 01695 572461 and ask for Matt.

I've got the S/S protectors from Matt. They are very effective and look the beez neez :). I've also fitted the tyre valve covers with the VX logo, again from Matt.

MalcolmD :)

#8 MajorGav

MajorGav

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the advice - I'll await details on a possible club discount and place an order! :) THanks for the images Steve - a definite 'must purchase' :)

#9 Guest_weeksie99 (Guest)

Guest_weeksie99 (Guest)

Posted 26 March 2003 - 12:28 PM

The Chip Stick comes in very handy - top stuff - so much better than touch-up paint.

Where do you get the Chip Stick from and for how much? Cheers.

#10 iandhd

iandhd

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 01:26 PM

Pictures of the sil covers from Ormskirk (& Armourfend) are in my gallery. :)

#11 MajorGav

MajorGav

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 01:36 PM

[/QUOTE] Where do you get the Chip Stick from and for how much? Cheers [QUOTE]

The Chip Stick is made by Turtle Wax and you can pick it up from all good motorist shops and some bad ones too!

Price is about £5 which includes the stick, a cloth, car shampoo and deep scratch remover.

You just pick the closest match for your paint - I chose light red for rabiata - and apply it to the chip. Over apply it and wipe away with the cloth. Job done, chip filled! Lasts for about 40 washes. OK, so it's not a perfect match, but it is hard to tell and looks far better than touch-up paint (imho).

Hope this helps.

#12 MajorGav

MajorGav

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 12:59 PM

Thorney...any news on the potential club discount for the sill covers please? Also, is there a dealership which offers a discount to club members, I want to get my hands on the key fob, pen and various gifts but you can't order them over the web :(

#13 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 03 April 2003 - 01:40 PM

Thorney...any news on the potential club discount for the sill covers please?

Also, is there a dealership which offers a discount to club members, I want to get my hands on the key fob, pen and various gifts but you can't order them over the web :(

Supplying dealer hasn't got back to me yet, I'll chase him.

We have a few dealers interested in the site now - any offers to discounted merchandise????? cheers

#14 MajorGav

MajorGav

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 02:06 PM

Thanks Thorney, would like to get these fitted soon :)

Edited by GAVX220, 03 April 2003 - 02:06 PM.

#15 Sicey

Sicey

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 01:32 AM

Any update on these sill covers yet Thorney, I want to try and order some before I pick the car up next month. Ian - Are they supplied with some sort of backing adhesive for fitting ? Regards, John.

#16 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 11 April 2003 - 06:31 AM

Pattern sent for carbon fibre ones, hope to have them in the next few weeks.

#17 Sicey

Sicey

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 07:16 AM

Just an update that you may know about already Thorney but I recently sent matt an email about the sill covers and has just confirmed to me that they are now available to forum members for the price of 45 pounds incl vat and P+P - Top man :) I will be putting my order in soon! John.

#18 MajorGav

MajorGav

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 09:32 AM

Cool! Can you provide me with Matt's contact details so I can place an order please? cheers

#19 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 09:42 AM

Anyone got any pics? Are these the aluminium looking ones that come on the Turbo (without turbo written on them presumably)? jase

#20 VEX

VEX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 10:35 AM

Jase, They are not like the ones for the T, they are bigger, better and cover more area. I am ordering mine today ready for the run and photos. Cw.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users