Timing Chain Disaster.

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#61 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

I spoke to the Service Manager at Chester today. He said if I get the car there they will have a look at it and then speak to the powers that be. He said i'd need to provide the service history info as it's not been in for service at vauxhall according to their records. Which is a bugger, because I don't have anything from before I bought the car :( and i don't use a dealership for my servicing nor do i have the stamp book.

I could spend ££ getting the car to them and then have them tell me they couldn't help me anyway, so i think that's out.

what years is yours

#62 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts
  • Interests:playing cars and general mischief.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

the vauxhall warranty only lasted 5 years, all z22se engines are older than this.

I haven't heard of anyone getting timing chain damage repaired under warranty for ages thumbsdown

I noticed on z22se that someone managed at the beginning of last year, or the post was beginning of last yr, so i thought it was worth a shot! don't ask, don't get and all that....

what years is yours

02 Fab

#63 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

02 Fab

mine as well
02 Fab lol :)
just spoke to vauxhall and even with a full service history on the car from new from the same dealers no help what so ever is available :(
the problem is they are not design to snap and i don't know what oil jet is on mine the only thing i know is vx220 ly april 2002

#64 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

the new timing chain kit was fitted from march 2002, so the engines had to filter into production. I expect all 02 plate cars have the earlier kit fitted, a mix in the 52 plates and most 03 plates should have the later spec. Mine is a May 2003 and it had the later chain kit - which I still replaced during my upgrade rebuild.

#65 Steve B

Steve B

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking and Cars

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

My car was registered 25-11-02 and engine numbers 11050117 which is a loads of engines before the update.

#66 rsg

rsg

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:15 PM

you'd need absolute full Vauxhall service history and no modifications of any kind before Vauxhall even think about offering any kind of compensation/repair work IMO I'm sure they'd quite happily repair the damage for you for many hundreds of £££££s :rolleyes: Benny on z22se gets awesome reviews, apparently hes go it down to a couple of hours work

#67 Anarchy

Anarchy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

I dont like talking about the timing chain just in case I say something I regret, its a scary subject. But I am pretty certain mine being a 51 plate car it will have the old kit. Vocky, when you say the old jets have killed off most of them how true do you think this is? There must be hundreds of 1000s of these engines made. Is there a way to pull off the chain cover, look to see if the chain is dry or wet with oil, just for a bit of peace of mind or is it more a case of one day the jets get blocked and bang?

#68 skin33

skin33

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

My car was registered 25-11-02 and engine numbers 11050117 which is a loads of engines before the update.

very strange cos mine was reg 31/10/02 and the eng number is 11091979 so as far as im aware loads of engines after the update! looks like im one of the lucky ones, hopefully!!

#69 Steve B

Steve B

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking and Cars

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

very strange cos mine was reg 31/10/02 and the eng number is 11091979 so as far as im aware loads of engines after the update! looks like im one of the lucky ones, hopefully!!

Well thats whats on the V5, where is the number located on the actual engine so I can check, maybe your has had a new engine?

Edited by Steve B, 08 September 2009 - 06:03 PM.

#70 rsg

rsg

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

Either that or a previous owner swapped the engine over ;)

#71 skin33

skin33

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:06 PM

Either that or a previous owner swapped the engine over ;)

thats what i was thinking but its on the logbook and u cant you change the engine no. on the logbook can you?,didnt think you could??

#72 skin33

skin33

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:09 PM

Well thats whats on the V5, where is the number located on the actual engine so I can check, maybe your has had a new engine?

thats a point! i havnt checked the engine number on the actual engine,couldnt find it so i could also do with knowing where its situated

#73 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

when you say the old jets have killed off most of them how true do you think this is? There must be hundreds of 1000s of these engines made.

at a rough guess;

the old type timing chain kit is the main reason for the early life failure of the z22se engine (probably 75% of all failures), having a very low oil level is the next main reason :rolleyes:

#74 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:22 PM

if you change your engine oil every 5000 miles or so and don't have a rattle on cold start up then you really don't need to worry too much. if you hear a rattle on cold start up then get the chain kit replaced asap thumbsup

#75 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:22 PM

Christ Almighty - doesn't anyone search, or look for information for themselves anymore :rolleyes:

How to find the engine number

Also found this whilst looking for something else

#76 skin33

skin33

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

Christ Almighty - doesn't anyone search, or look for information for themselves anymore :rolleyes:

sorry thumbsup the item on the engine number regarding the timing chain is what i found last night which is why i asked alim what her engine number was

#77 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

Is there a way to pull off the chain cover, look to see if the chain is dry or wet with oil, just for a bit of peace of mind or is it more a case of one day the jets get blocked and bang?

You can see if you have the later bits easily without taking anything off. Other than that it's hard to find sings of impending doom.

#78 skin33

skin33

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

sorry thumbsup the item on the engine number regarding the timing chain is what i found last night which is why i asked alim what her engine number was

not the easiest place to check a engine number in a vx,but using a mirror and the ability to read backwards,the logbook matches,has blue lines and blue dots everywhare,god knows wots thats for????originality of engine i presume??

#79 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:43 PM

the later chain has blue and purple timing marks, the old type had silver and bronze so if you removed the cam cover and rotated the engine you could see which type you have fitted, there are only three coloured links on the chain

#80 Yellow_or_black?

Yellow_or_black?

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

the item on the engine number regarding the timing chain is what i found last night which is why i asked alim what her engine number was

thumbsup Sorry - was just having my usual little rant :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users