• Please log in to reply
670 replies to this topic

#21 VXTyrant

VXTyrant

Red Rules!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

I've been looking forward to the inevitable project thread an it didn't disappoint! Good write up and a cracking job well done thumbsup

#22 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

No, it looks too big in those track suite bottoms. :gayfight:

are you asking me to take a picture of my but in no trousers? :o :lol:

#23 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

You have defected from turbo to SC :poke: , I have to say that that is a great looking project and fantastic looking result thumbsup

#24 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

Top work Jimmy chinky chinky I thought a Garrett would have gone in there.. ;)

#25 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

Part II :)

Now I had a marathon ahead of me….

The mission – To get the timing chain repaired, remove balancer shafts, replace flywheel to a lightweight type, rebuild the engine on Eagle Rods, get it on the rollers and map it, give it a geo….

Easy eh…?

This involved taking renting a van, driving to Reading to borrow a trailer from Max (top man!), drive back to South Wales to pick up the VX, then driving to Aylesbury. Then trailer the car to Norfolk then down to Henley. Once done there back to South Wales, then back to reading, then home to South Wales again. Well over a 1000 miles. All in one trip without going home!!

Ready to set off

Posted Image

Now my budget was smashed to pieces by this point and with no insurance on the car I decided safest and cheapest bet was to sleep in the van at night. So with my Millets foam pad and my sleeping bag in toe I set off in my rental van for a long weekend of fun. Now with the van, VX, trailer and bits I counted 12 wheels, 2 steering wheels, 3 flywheels, and a spare. So Jimmy the trucker hit the Motorway in his 18 wheeler. All I needed was a John Deere cap :lol:

My Wagon :)

Posted Image

After collecting all the bits first stop was Joe’s place for the engine work. We were met there by Vocky whom I met for the first time and we set about removing the engine and rebuilding. Now again as the rear clam was off and there were three of us we sped through the work. Neil quickly identified the source of the engine rattle as a seized Pre-Tensioner which could have snapped the chain at any moment as was no longer even touching the chain let alone tensioning it!!

RIP Kerry :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

Joe humping my air filter

Posted Image

Joe stroking my pipes :lol:

Posted Image

All out

Posted Image

Vocky's feet. The man would not be photographed. It helps so that MI6 cannot id him ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

Started smoking when warmed up for the first time!!

Posted Image

The work went very smoothly and hats off to Joe and Neil when we finally got it all back together and some juice into the flat battery it fired into life for the first time in it’s new guise. Sounded great!

Now again we’d factored in two days for the work but we were done in one so Joe was itching to show me the big city lights of Aylesbury and hell…. I was keen to let him!!! :lol: So after finishing a bottle of vodka between us we met up with a few of his mates and hit the tiles. I looked ridiculous as I had brought no real going out gear with me, so was wearing steel toe cap boots and had been forced to get ready using Joe’s dodgy hair gel :lol:

:drink: :drink: :sick: :drink: :D :D B) :P poof :D :sick: :drink: :drink: chinky chinky chinky chinky :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :blink: :blush: :lol: :jump: :wub: B) :sleepy: Ho with the taxi driver :lol:

Woke up the next morning with a sore head in Joe’s Mum’s bed :lol: Luckily armed with the knowledge that an uncouth Welshman was coming to stay she was stayed with a friend :lol: I did very much appreciate the bed though as the van was not a comfy place to be!! Joe was a legend and knew I was at a loose end and we saw out our hangovers with one another and even attempted some half arsed repair work on Joe’s car. We quickly decided that we were in no fit state to be working on cars and hit MacDonalds for some food.

After reflecting on life I got organised and loaded up ahead of the mammoth trek to Courtenays (a million miles from everywhere). Cheers again Joe thumbsup

So arrived at Courtenays around 10pm and was shattered so made camp for the night. I woke up in the van at around 7am freezing, with face full of dust but excited about the day ahead!

Jon and co were great and got it on the rollers straight away, but the work took a long time as the partial throttle fuelling was not right. A few calls to Klassen and we identified the problem to be a tired fuel pump (hold the front page;) ).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Was too late in the day to fit but I had still pulled a decent enough amount of torque on the rollers so it was time to call it a day and hit the road again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So the trip to Hofmann’s took an eternity, and I was getting sick of the tatty old hire van by now!! The best thing about crashing in their car park (:lol:) is that since the move it’s very quiet down the bottom unit! Until it started raining!!??!! Ping ping ping ping ping ping on the van’s roof was annoying, but tiredness took over and I dropped off regardless.

Was met by the talented Mr Strikland in the morning who was good enough to make me a brew and we set about getting the car geo’d.

Unfortunately we didn’t get very far :( the guys spotted a frightening amount of play in the drivers side front wheel. Now I’d replaced ALMOST everything in this area. Ball joints, wishbone bushes, drop links, track rod ends the bleedin lot!! Except the steering rack. Now remember this car had been in a rather nasty accident, and it looks like the rack took a knock! There’s crappy little plastic knuckles on each end of the rack and these crack, jam and cause play.

Now credit to Phil at Hofmann’s as he knew how over-budget I already was and saved me a fortune by giving me a pretty comprehensive run through of how to remove and repair my existing rack on Phosphor Bronze ends. Went from around £600 + labour to £40 and I’ll do it myself! He could get in trouble for not coining in on my misfortune, but helping me out like that they’ve got a good customer :)

So loaded back up and set off to drive home.

Dumped the VX at the bodyshop, then turned back around and set off to give Max his trailer back (thanks again mate). Had a brew and a chat then back to South Wales for the last leg of my trip.

Travels now over, time for bed!

-------------------------------------

That was the end of my uber trip. Still loads to do though!

Finally finished off the rear clam and fitted with the lightweight bootlid, lightweight rollbar cover, and Exige spoiler

Posted Image

Parked the car in it's spot where it was to remain for the next few weeks.

Posted Image

So infuriating to have a tuned machine like this and not be able to drive it. Still no mot or log book/tax so at this point I had never driven it!

Set about pulling the rack out and refurbishing the ends. Pig of a job, but do-able!

Then started on the interior

Removed my standard seats, airbag, steering wheel and boss, consoles, stereo, seatbelts, speakers, speaker panel/parcel shelf and probably more, and set about rebuilding how I want it.

Then fitted.

JonBetts Harness Bar
Willans Harness
JK Composites lightweight seat
OMP Steering wheel on snap off boss

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will put the second seat in as soon as I get time, but having a mare at the moment so needed to get a seat in to get it road legal.

MOT and vic check went through without a hitch and my babay is now road legal. Unfortunately this was too late for my first track day so I had to trailer it to Pembrey where I got to drive it for the first time and she was great!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qsiAL3R7qg&feature=player_embedded

I've got to fit my undertrays, diffuser and get the car geo'd ahead of the car's first real test at Silverstone next week with Cliffie and MAXR. Bring it on boys rallly .

#27 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

Ooooh, floating car :lol:

Posted Image

#28 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

Fantastic work JJJ and your team of helpers....typical of .org really. Imnotworthy Truly great acheivement given your starting point - a very sickly looikg car. Now looks the dogs. Another VX lives on.....

#29 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

Lovin this story Imnotworthy (Although there are too many pics of Joe bending over ...... :gayfight: )

#30 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:07 PM

I've been looking forward to this thread, did not disappoint! Lots of hard work. Awesome mate congrats and enjoy :)

#31 rcvaughan

rcvaughan

Ex-VXer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Interests:Work cars: Play cars

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

Great project Jimmy thumbsup Look forward to hearing how it drives at silverstone :)

#32 fred666

fred666

All Show, All Go

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

Interesting read... All the bits added to the exterior i don't really like individually (Bootlid, spoiler, rear clam cut outs) But together they all seem to work well! whole project works brilliantly. Proper track look to it and functional vents :) A nice read mate chinky chinky Ps sort your camera out if thats lightning yellow

#33 VXR 43

VXR 43

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:17 PM

Wicked write up Jimmy! The car is looking the nuts!

#34 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:15 AM

Interesting read... All the bits added to the exterior i don't really like individually (Bootlid, spoiler, rear clam cut outs) But together they all seem to work well! whole project works brilliantly. Proper track look to it and functional vents :)

A nice read mate chinky chinky

Ps sort your camera out if thats lightning yellow

Colour is defo NOT lightning yellow!! It's Citrine Yellow off of the Mk 1 Modeo :) seems more becoming of the moniker of Lightning yellow to me!

Cheers guys thumbsup

#35 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

Do like!

#36 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

Good stuff thumbsup

#37 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:17 AM

:lol: definitely looks better on the vx than that picture of a mondeo you sent me! Great work buddy!

#38 forgotmepassword

forgotmepassword

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:48 PM

Fantastic project. Looks the business B)

#39 darronwall

darronwall

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:the older i get the more my genitals look like jeremy clarkson

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:07 PM

looks good! every credit to you,you should be proud of that.Look forward to seeing it on a track soonthumbsup

#40 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Well Done Jim i have seen it and drivern it rallly it is a loverly car ,You have done so much so quick i cant believe it thumbsup
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (3)